Fever

So had a interesting case a little while ago. Few small details changed for privacy and no patient identifiers. 

Patient was a male mid 50s with a "fever" but during triage vitals were as followed HR 110, BP 150/90, O2 90%, RR 25, temp 105.!. ROS: 

No headache

No sore throat

Yes cough 

No chest pain

No abd pain 

No abnormal bowl or urination issues 

And yes fever and chills 

So time for investigations: 

Influenza A neg

Influenza B neg

COVID pos 

Elevated CRP

Elevated WBC 

Low sodium

Low potassium

Low magnesium

We gave some fluids and fever wouldn't budge over a few hours so patient was admitted.

A left a few things out of treatment for fellow PAs to call out. 

Also any questions? 

Any thoughts? 

2 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

How many days of sx?(this determines if he can get either PO or IV monoclonal antibodies). 

Previous covid vaccinations or infections?

I assume he got tylenol, ibuprofen, oxygen,  K, Mg, blood cultures, lactic acid, etc

Day 6 of fever came in because it got to its highest. No vaccine but had the infection in early 2020. And correct on all assumptions.

1 minute ago, ChrisPAinED said:

Day 6 of fever came in because it got to its highest. No vaccine but had the infection in early 2020. And correct on all assumptions.

Day 6 they could still get IV monoclonal antibodies. PO Paxlovid is only for days 1-5

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jmj11 said:

I would be curious about the differential. I don't work in the area but with COVID so common these days, I would want to make sure that a positive COVID wasn't masking another unrelated infection.

We checked for Flu and Cov by lab and I didn't mention it but we did a CXR that showed a opacity of the RLL. Patient was admitted for more investigations and treatment.

On 6/10/2022 at 11:06 PM, ChrisPAinED said:

There are now inpatient so I am sure the internal medicine physician will consider it. 🙂

Not if he's hospitalized for Covid pneumonia. Contraindication for monoclonal antibodies. Might get other treatment, although oxygen saturation of 90% on room air without respiratory distress removes him from consideration for some of those as well. With control of his fever he may have totally disqualified himself from pharmacologic treatment.

If I was a betting person... hospitalist finished his labs (ferritin, D-dimer, liver function), attempted a sputum, and scanned him for PE (borderline O2 sats, probably has some other risk factors in his medical history such as obesity etc and we know these patients clot for no reason at all) unless his kidneys absolutely didn't allow it. Then they treated him for superimposed bacterial pneumonia and discharged him.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...