Hey guys! I'm a current PA-SI at UTHSCSA. Congratulations to everyone getting your applications in, and especially those who have received invites! If you have any questions about UTHSCSA or about the PA program in general, I'd be more than happy to help you out!

Just some unsolicited advice: STAY BUSY. Find a way to block reddit, this forum, and anything that has to do with the PA process. Everyone's stats are different at UTHSCSA. There really isn't a particular type of student they choose based on stats alone. You'll go crazy falsely comparing yourself to others when you shouldn't. My friends' stats are NOTHING like mine- and we all got into this program. Believe in yourself- because it's the PERSON who makes a great PA, not your amount of PCE hours nor your GPA.

Stay healthy ya'll. Be proud of your accomplishments. Good luck! 

Edited by KthePA2024
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, KthePA2024 said:

Hey guys! I'm a current PA-SI at UTHSCSA. Congratulations to everyone getting your applications in, and especially those who have received invites! If you have any questions about UTHSCSA or about the PA program in general, I'd be more than happy to help you out!

Just some unsolicited advice: STAY BUSY. Find a way to block reddit, this forum, and anything that has to do with the PA process. Everyone's stats are different at UTHSCSA. There really isn't a particular type of student they choose based on stats alone. You'll go crazy falsely comparing yourself to others when you shouldn't. My friends' stats are NOTHING like mine- and we all got into this program. Believe in yourself- because it's the PERSON who makes a great PA, not your amount of PCE hours nor your GPA.

Stay healthy ya'll. Be proud of your accomplishments. Good luck! 

Thank you for this incredible advice as it something that I know I needed to read. I do have a question as I did research on the program and found a couple of unique aspects such as the small class size. What are three things that you find you unique and valuable about the PA program at UTHSCSA?

• Like 1

So, I think the concept of something being unique kinda depends on what schools you're looking at. At a certain point, all of these schools starting looking similarly when written on paper. I can tell you the things that have stood out to me.

1. 5 Electives during clinical year. I have never heard of that many electives being given to students in Texas (if I'm wrong, let me know!) You get extra exposure to places or in specialties you're interested in. I know that means a lot whenever you're graduating because you can show that you've gotten exposure that other students might not have.

2. Research + Anatomy Lab + Lab medicine. I've really liked how our didactic has incorporated courses that are pinnacle for you to understand topics in depth. At UTHSCSA, we even learn lab medicine from a medical technologist who shows us what our labs are, why we use these particular labs, and how they are processed. We take a full on anatomy with a cadaver lab with professors who teach the medical school and PT. We have medical school tutors to help us during labs. We just had a course with the school of dentistry of how to apply lidocaine to the molars if we have a patient who is experiencing extreme pain. I LOVE how much our didactic has had so many opportunities to intermingle with students and professionals from the other professions. (I'm not sure this is "unique" but it something that I don't think they talk about much.) 

3. Spring, we will start being able to go practice in the clinic with one of PA professors. I think volunteering after only being in school for 3 semesters is incredible. We also, again, get to work with nursing students, medical students, and providers. So having extra exposure to completing physical exams, helping out the community, and being around other students in a clinical setting really helps students to develop themselves as PAs.

As I said, I'm not exactly sure these things are "unique" to only UTHSCSA since I haven't gone to the others; however, they are things that I feel like are the best part of this school. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KthePA2024 said:

So, I think the concept of something being unique kinda depends on what schools you're looking at. At a certain point, all of these schools starting looking similarly when written on paper. I can tell you the things that have stood out to me.

1. 5 Electives during clinical year. I have never heard of that many electives being given to students in Texas (if I'm wrong, let me know!) You get extra exposure to places or in specialties you're interested in. I know that means a lot whenever you're graduating because you can show that you've gotten exposure that other students might not have.

2. Research + Anatomy Lab + Lab medicine. I've really liked how our didactic has incorporated courses that are pinnacle for you to understand topics in depth. At UTHSCSA, we even learn lab medicine from a medical technologist who shows us what our labs are, why we use these particular labs, and how they are processed. We take a full on anatomy with a cadaver lab with professors who teach the medical school and PT. We have medical school tutors to help us during labs. We just had a course with the school of dentistry of how to apply lidocaine to the molars if we have a patient who is experiencing extreme pain. I LOVE how much our didactic has had so many opportunities to intermingle with students and professionals from the other professions. (I'm not sure this is "unique" but it something that I don't think they talk about much.) 

3. Spring, we will start being able to go practice in the clinic with one of PA professors. I think volunteering after only being in school for 3 semesters is incredible. We also, again, get to work with nursing students, medical students, and providers. So having extra exposure to completing physical exams, helping out the community, and being around other students in a clinical setting really helps students to develop themselves as PAs.

As I said, I'm not exactly sure these things are "unique" to only UTHSCSA since I haven't gone to the others; however, they are things that I feel like are the best part of this school. 

Thank you so much for this thoughtful answer. It gives a more in depth and insiders perspective in addition to what is provided in the PA program website. I can feel your passion through the words and it is evident that any student would be lucky to get accepted into the UTHSCSA PA program.

2 hours ago, Marli10 said:

Reading older threads it looks like UTHSCSA usually calls two days after interview (hopefully not always the case😩). Did anyone receive an acceptance call yesterday for the October 17th interview? Best of luck to everyone and congratulations to those already accepted. You earned it!🎉

Some of the current students said they heard back at different times! Some a few weeks and others a few months so not always the case! There's still hope!

• Upvote 1

I heard around 1mo and a half after my interview date. There are multiple people in my class who got in off the waitlist! I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH: Don't pay attention to what is online because it's all highly skewed data. What's on these forums represents less than 1/4 of our class. I drove myself CRAZY during my waiting period, and in hindsight I realize how it affected my mental health.

One of my friends heard back 2 days after her interview. One of my friends didn't get into the cohort until February. Stay positive! 

• Thanks 2

On 10/20/2022 at 9:26 AM, KthePA2024 said:

I heard around 1mo and a half after my interview date. There are multiple people in my class who got in off the waitlist! I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH: Don't pay attention to what is online because it's all highly skewed data. What's on these forums represents less than 1/4 of our class. I drove myself CRAZY during my waiting period, and in hindsight I realize how it affected my mental health.

One of my friends heard back 2 days after her interview. One of my friends didn't get into the cohort until February. Stay positive! 

May I just say you are the real MVP of this forum! I truly appreciate your words of encouragement and your uplifting spirit! Thank you so much for keeping my hope strong!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1