13 hours ago, Tiger1125 said:

There’s been a lot of scary stuff going on in Memphis lately. Everybody be careful out there! Would any current applicants/students mind sharing their thoughts on the safety of the city and advice on safe places to live in the area? 

I was born in Memphis. There are some good areas but none that are close to the campus. I live in Mississippi right outside of memphis. There are some other areas around like Germantown, Collierville that are safer that you could look into.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Tiger1125 said:

There’s been a lot of scary stuff going on in Memphis lately. Everybody be careful out there! Would any current applicants/students mind sharing their thoughts on the safety of the city and advice on safe places to live in the area? 

Hey! Born, raised, and living in Memphis now. It’s been such a heavy week for us Memphians. I think some of the safest places to live are Mud Island, Germantown, Collierville, Bartlett, and Arlington. Basically any of the suburbs surrounding the area. I currently live right by the UofM and I feel pretty safe. Thankfully I haven’t had a problem here and the problems that are **typically** reported in my neighborhood are petty thefts and breaking into cars. East Memphis is generally very safe (neighborhoods like Sea Isle and Colonial Acres). Midtown is typically safe too and a really cool part of town. The thing about Memphis is one street could be totally safe and then down the street is a not so safe part of town. For example, my neighborhood is decently safe and mainly older people and college students but Orange Mound is not even a mile down the road. Also, Germantown, Collierville, and Mud Island are pretty expensive places to live, especially for a student. I think the best mix of safety and affordability is probably East Memphis or Bartlett. I tried to do a synopsis of each part of town but if you have any questions about a specific neighborhood/area feel free to reach out! I know it can be scary to think about moving to a new, unfamiliar place. 

23 hours ago, Tiger1125 said:

I am a current PA student here! I chose to live farther from campus in the burbs and I’m so happy I did! But lots of my classmates live closer to campus. If accepted you will also be connected to all of us current students and given specific recommendations on housing! Honestly all cities have their bad side unfortunately. I don’t really go out much so I can’t comment much on the Memphis “scene” per say but have always felt safe while on campus.

(positive spin: if you’re interested in high acuity care there’s lots of that here)

On 9/7/2022 at 5:33 PM, Emmaaaa98 said:

I gotta interview invite yesterday! For any current student, I would love to hear some pros and cons about the program through your personal experience

These are all subjective of course but…

pro: I absolutely loved cadaver lab, incredible opportunity. I didn’t think much about it as an applicant but now I’m so thankful for the experience (but the class is very hard).

con: 24 months. It’s fast. I think a lot of people underestimate it. PA school is fast regardless but 24 months doesn’t allow much room for figuring things out.

Pro: POCUS curriculum. I actually have always been super interested in ultrasound and think the amount of ultrasound training we get was undersold. Absolutely love it.

Con: Do I love Memphis? No. But I spend the majority of my time doing school things, that’s what I’m here for so.. meh. (There is a lot more to do here than I thought there would be though)

Pro: Local ish rotations based in a primary region (save money, less stress, unless you wanted to travel a bunch clinical year)

Con: short rotations (4 weeks), only two electives. Again it’s pretty much just bc it’s a 24 month program so you gotta get it done somehow.

that’s all that comes to mind initially 

Current student:

Definitely have a concise way to answer "tell me about yourself", I would try include one little blurb you consider unique to you, could be a hobby, a volunteer or healthcare experience.

You obviously need to be able to answer "why PA?", include personal experiences in your answers as often as possible while also being sure to circle back to why/how that experience is relevant to the question.

Not a bad idea to think about some issues in the PA profession and your thoughts (OTP, name change, etc), would look to the AAPA for materials to review on these topics.

Overall just remember to share who YOU are, not cookie-cutter answers you think they want to hear.

Can't say much about the essay except I think if you've prepared well for interviews, you won't struggle with the essay.

Relax. If you got an interview, they've already decided you are a good candidate. Be personable, professional, they want to know you know what you're getting yourself into, how you've prepared, that you would be someone that will be teachable, be a good classmate and ultimately a PA.

Good luck to everyone!!1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just interviewed today. Love the program. Not sure what to think about my interview. I think it went well but they told me over 2,000 applied only 120 got interviews. Well I did the best I could. Those who are currently enrolled what was your science GPA and CASPA scores? Curious to see . Thanks n good luck everyone who got interviews. 

1 hour ago, Tnchika22 said:

Just interviewed today. Love the program. Not sure what to think about my interview. I think it went well but they told me over 2,000 applied only 120 got interviews. Well I did the best I could. Those who are currently enrolled what was your science GPA and CASPA scores? Curious to see . Thanks n good luck everyone who got interviews. 

Glad that you liked the program! My interview is tomorrow! I was wondering do we have to bring our laptops so we can write the essay?