Rosh vs PANCE score

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to post my stats because I know there are students out there with the same issues I have. To start, I struggled in PA school from the beginning. I did not have much patient contact experience before school which I know was a major contributing factor. The other issue I was facing was my crippling test anxiety. I failed a lot of exams. I was definitely in the bottom 5 of my class of 50 students. I was definitely scared I was going to fail didactic year and be held back. I barely scraped by and made it to clinicals. I did okay in clinicals. My school did not use the NCCPA EORs and instead used exam master. If it had not been for the points given back on the exams I would have failed almost every exam. My poor scores were not from slacking off either. I studied all the time. I took so many practice tests I thought I was going to lose my mind. I was constantly on edge. After clinicals ended summative came around and that was definitely the worst I had done all of PA school. I failed literally every single written and oral exam. I could not seem to get it together for that entire return to campus. In my last meeting with the staff I was told to reschedule my exam because they knew I would not pass. I was so nervous I took a 10 day break from my 8 week PANCE study plan.

I rescheduled the exam and came back to studying. I went through all of the material what felt like the millionth time. I took practice exams all the time. And my scores were not changing. I took Rosh exams, SmartyPANCE, and the NCCPA practice exam. 

Rosh (I restarted the exams and went back through 50%) - 65% average, 438 predicted score, 85% chance of passing

NCCPA practice exam - borderline-high

ePackrat - 149

I knew there was nothing I could do to improve the knowledge part. I decided to focus on my testing mindset. I took the day before the PANCE off completely. I was forcing myself into a positive mindset (which is unheard of for me). I did not even want to think about failing because I knew I would spiral. I made sure I ate plenty the day before and got plenty of sleep. I got to the testing site early and started the exam at 7:45am. I used the entire time to take the exam. I felt okay when I was done. I did not feel like I did amazing, but I did not feel like I failed. 

I got my score 4 business days later at 8:30am.

PANCE - 361 (reference group mean score: 474)

I know my score sucks, but considering my obstacles I was relieved it was over and I did not have to take it again. I definitely do not feel like I am ready to practice, but I got hired as a general surgery PA before I graduated with a $108k salary with full benefits and CME allowance. 

I hope my story helps someone. I know most PA students are smart and above average, but for those that are used to always being well below average like me there is hope and you can do it.

TLDR ->

Rosh (I restarted the exams and went back through 50%) - 65% average, 438 predicted score, 85% chance of passing

NCCPA practice exam - borderline-high

ePackrat - 149

PANCE - 361 (reference group mean score: 474)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...