Which NY College

So here are my choices

LIU - Brooklyn - not sure but i think its around 27,000

York College - $16,520

Touro College - around 15,00

Hofstra University - $34,000

New York Institute of Tech - $28,020

St Johns - 29,000

NEW YORK: Weill Cornell Medical College - 23,790.00 i think.

Yea so i dont know which one to choose to start my 4 years.

I am a junior right now and i was wondering which college i should go to.

I wanna plan everything out now so i dont have to do it latter :P

Note: My parents dont have a lot of money. They are both CNA's. I will get full financial aid. (5k)

Also currently idk my gpa (hs) but my Average of all my classes is a 89.5

I dont want to go to a college that is bad.

Also i heard bad things about Touro.

Help please. I always wanted to be a Pa and i know you guys will help me :)

Why are these the only schools you are looking at?

If you are a NYS resident, apply to a couple of good SUNY schools...between federal financial aid and TAP and working part time you should have barely any loans. As long as you do well it doesn't really matter where you do your undergrad.

Alright though i dont think i parent will let me get a job because they want me to focus on school. i will try anyway.

Thanks for your response.

Your post is very confusing ..... You are a Junior in HIGH SCHOOL. Why are you looking at PA school now? You have to go to college first. If I had to pick a college from that group I would choose CORNELL .... and it is NOT located in New York City with the medical school, rather upstate NY several hours from New York City. You should meet with a college guidance counselor at your school ASAP and get ideas on good PRE HEALTH PROFESSIONAL Majors. You do not go directly to PA school ... You go to college first and then apply to PA or medical school as a graduate degree program.

NOW a few schools actually have direct to admission PA degrees. I am not sure which do in New York State. They are usually 5+ year programs and not 4 and I would imagine pretty selective because how many people really know what they want to do for a career as a junior in HS.

In summary .... you need to go to college first .... you may decide to do a college that has an entry PA program but there are very few of these programs around and they are usually 5 years I believe ..... I would recommend a SUNY like Stony Brook (excellent school and price for NY staters) major in something that can produce a career and make you attractive to a health professional school (economics/psychology major fits nice) ... then apply to PA school ... go to the best school you can get into .... 10,000 dollar loan now is worth it if it opens doors 10 years from now ....

• 1 month later...

RodneyP, I know exactly where you‘re coming from. I decided to be a PA and made my plan when I was a High School Sophomore. I’ve always been passionate about medicine, excited about being a 1st-generation college student in my family yet realistically aware that my parents didn’t have much $ (CNA & custodian).

My plan’s formula was preparation + opportunity + sweat + sacrifice = success

PREPARATION

- in my public HS, loaded up on honors classes + relevant AP classes (AP Psych, AP Chem, AP Physics) >> saves $ on pre-requisites & prior exposure to subject area helps with similar college courses

- high GPA (HS & college), awards & other scholarships helped

- volunteer/shadowing >> very impt, not only for admissions or recommendations but prior exposure to the medical field allows you to make an informed decision

- researched PA programs in NY, esp. direct-entry programs

OPPORTUNITY

- accepted to St. Francis College (SFC)

- awarded full ride scholarship from SFC >> therefore, if my math is right, tuition bill = $0.00

^^ fulfilled highly rigorous criteria in order to maintain scholarship every semester

^^scholarship transfers to St. John’s University (SJU)

^^scholarship includes intersessions (may, winter, & summer)

^^SFC pays tuition difference btwn itself & that of the more expensive SJU

- SFC & SJU has an agreement, SJU PA program guaranteed seats to SFC pre-PA students who met highly selective criteria for admission

SWEAT (or blood, tears, sanity, deprivation, etc)

- self-explanatory

- 2 yrs undergrad SFC + 2 yrs PA program SJU

- loaded up on the maximum amount of credits every semester & intersession available >> therefore, school was year-round

SACRIFICE

- deprivation of sleep, sanity, social life, etc

- stay at home, not on campus (neither SFC nor SJU)

- “MTA going your way”: insane commutes on public transit, esp. during PA program

^^my normal one-way trip = 2 buses + 2 trains

^^my extreme (one-way trip to my clinical rotation) = 1 bus + 4 trains

- no job, one & only focus was school

^^however, I was able to turn my love of mentoring/tutoring/study group from a hobby to a work-study opportunity during my sophomore yr as a student tutor >> save $ for txtbks for PA school

SUCCESS

- RPA-C (registered physician assistant certified) in 4 yrs at a young age

- no debt

- graduated with a career not a major

- can still pursue medical school if I choose to (my Plan B & I made sure your plan accordingly)

Please know it’s possible, just know what you want & do what you got to do. I’m grateful to all those people & opportunities that allowed me to be where I am now.

P.S. I apologize for the length

*Disclaimer: My experience is just that ... my experience. Information may have changed since my time.

Archived