Hi my name is Ahmed Rehman and Im a college student that attends Suffolk Community College. Im here to ask if there is any Physician Assistants around my area that are willing to allow me to shadow them. I was really interested in this career path since at a young age and I would love to shadow during the summer. I live around in East Patchogue and Brookhaven. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest mands
On 3/13/2020 at 4:28 PM, AhmedRehman said:

Hi my name is Ahmed Rehman and Im a college student that attends Suffolk Community College. Im here to ask if there is any Physician Assistants around my area that are willing to allow me to shadow them. I was really interested in this career path since at a young age and I would love to shadow during the summer. I live around in East Patchogue and Brookhaven. Thank you.

I agree with Connor ^. Because of the high demand, unless you know someone very closely, your chances of them letting you shadow them is slim (that is, there really isn't any benefit for the practitioners). 

I lived on Long Island (hempstead) & went to Hofstra (moved a few months ago). For our area, the whole Northwell Health system is HUGE on having scribes. Scribing for some programs is automatic write off for shadowing bc you work under PAs. On the other hand, you could have the PAs sign this form because by scribing, you're being paid to shadow and document everything they are doing. If you are interested in Hospitals in Northwell, look into Scribe America's company. They are the majority "supplier" of scribes for our region. I worked at Huntington Hospital which is a major hospital in the suffolk county region!! I worked for scribe america & got all my hours automatically written off for this, so if you have more questions feel free to DM me 🙂

Edited by mands

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Erose
      Hello,
      I am currently residing in Bellingham Washington. I am eager to get some shadowing experience prior to applying to PA school this year. I have received both covid vaccines, and would love to shadow in person. Please let me know if you have any ideas. I have reached out to several PAs in the area and have yet to hear back from anyone. 
      Thank you!
    • By Perdikos
      Hello!  I’m currently a senior biology major working as a medical scribe for a bit over 1 year now. I have accumulated about 1100 hours so far and have a cGPA of 3.63 and a science GPA of 3.36. I also have volunteered at a food bank with about 100 hours during the weekends. As a scribe I chart many aspects of the patient visit including vitals, HPI, physical exam and future plans. I also occasionally assist the provider with small tasks such as cerumen flushing in internal medicine or taking an US in a rheumatology setting. I have been researching PA programs to apply to and focusing on those that list scribing as PCE.  I am worried that this experience alone may not be enough as some schools don’t mention scribing as true PCE and I don’t feel I am able to gain another experience as I am currently studying for the GRE, working 3 times a week and will begin my next school semester soon. During my gap year after I apply I will have more time to find another part time job but this won’t be reflected on my application.  Will I still have a chance at being accepted into a program next cycle and if not what else do you recommend I do prior to applying? Thanks for any help you can provide. 
    • By LOLfPAschool
      So my particular PA school uses the PACKRAT to determine if students are ready to take the PANCE or not at the end of clinical year (this is new and never counted like this before). This year's most recent PACKRAT version national average is apparently a 167, 20 points higher than the last 3 averages on PAEA's website and 40 points higher than last years national average of 128 (according to my PA school). They have informed us that if we do not get within the 2 point standard deviation, they will not allow us to take the PANCE until we reach an adequate grade on the PACKRAT. Can they legally do this?
      According to PAEA, the PACRAT can be done open book so these scores are skewed and shouldn't count for my class.
      There is nothing in our program handbook about the PACKRAT being a requirement for graduation.
      PLEASE HELP!!
    • By KimberlyM54
      Hello all! 

My name is Kim and I am a demonstrated pre-PA coach and a current PA-S with a high success rate of client admission. I am currently available to take on new clients. I offer services including the following: personal statement editing/feedback, supplemental essay editing/feedback, interviewing prep/coaching, mock interviews, general pre-PA application advising sessions and pre-PA planning for the future. During the 2019-2020 cycle, I was invited to 7 interviews but only chose to attend 4 as I was accepted to my top choice by the 4th interview. I was accepted to ALL programs that I decided to interview with. Please email me at prepacoachkimberly@gmail.com if you are interested in learning more about my services. I also offer these services to other pre-health students as well.

Happy holidays, 
      Kim 

• By tenaya14
      Hi all, new here! Thanks in advance for the help! 
      I'm under the impression that you aren't supposed to include experience that you received academic credit for in the experience section. If that is the case, why is there a "received academic credit" option to select for experiences?
      From my previous healthcare degree, I did a number of internships and a residency program that I received academic credit for but on my transcript, it just says "internship hours" or "practicum hours" and provides no detail about the experience.
      Can I list the details of the experiences (as they were electives and unique to me rather than my academic program) and check the "received academic credit" box?
      For example, I elected to do an internship in a hospital in China and an integrative medicine residency program at a US hospital, I was credited "hours" from my graduate program, but there is no mention of the experiences on the transcripts. If I don't list them under experience, neither will be visible on my application. Do I just talk about them in my personal statement? What would you do in this situation?
      In general, I feel like I could use some guidance navigating CASPA with my unusual background (I have a Doctorate in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine) and am lacking access to an advisor . Any recommended resources? 
      THANK YOU!!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More