Unsupportive advisor. Advice?

I need advice on how to handle a certain advisor at my school. There is a lot to this story but here is a nutshell: I'm majoring in Cell and molecular biology and this individual is the advisor for my degree. When I express my interest in PA school he shuts me down and makes me feel stupid for wanting to go that route (he discourages people from the medical feild even though this degree was designed for pre med and pre health students). I've gone to another professor to sign up for classes and when he found out he sought me out and said he is the only one who should be advising me. He told me I'm going to graduate in a year although that won't be enough time to finish my pre recs for PA school and when I say this he flat out talks over me and doesn't listen to me. This advisor has behaved inappropriately with me before and I have recognized him as a emotional manipulator. When I stand up for my self and don't do exactly what he wants me to do or I dont let him pry into my personal life he acts like a humongous baby and treats me like I'm a bad person. This creates an immense amount of stress and anxiety for me when all I want to do is just enjoy school and do well. I have to take 3 more classes with this person  plus a senior project but I have dread about it because of the way he acts. My school is so small that the way its designed, he's in charge of much of my academics because of my degree. I've even though about transfering schools because this feels so unhealthy but I don't want to run from a problem just because its hard. Any advice? 

Stop messing with this guy and talk to the program chairman. If that doesn't work, go to the dean. Don't run the guy down other than to outline your educational objectives, your needs prior to applying to PA school, and the statement that your advisor has repeatedly demonstrated that he is not supportive of your goals.

Good luck!

You definitely need to bring this to the attention of the department chair or an academic dean. Not only can they mediate the situation with this professor, they can help advise you on how to proceed. I also went to a small undergraduate university and understand how difficult it can be to avoid certain professors when you need to take specific prerequisites. Is there another major you could switch (biology, environmental studies, etc) for which you have already completed most of the requirements? You do not have to have a science degree to attend PA school (though many do because so many of the prerequisites are in the sciences). Alternatively, you could make your goal to graduate and then take the necessary prerequisites at a community college while gaining PCE during a gap year. Do not let one person determine your outcome!

On 4/7/2019 at 11:32 AM, UGoLong said:

Stop messing with this guy and talk to the program chairman. If that doesn't work, go to the dean. Don't run the guy down other than to outline your educational objectives, your needs prior to applying to PA school, and the statement that your advisor has repeatedly demonstrated that he is not supportive of your goals.

Good luck!

well said! 

Archived