2012 Application Cycle

Southstar,

I interviewed yesterday, and it was a phenomenal experience! The staff and interviewers are all really warm and friendly, and the interview experience was vastly superior to many of the other programs I have interviewed at this interview season. I would definitely recommend you getting there earlier than you would anticipate. Traffic and driving around the New Haven hospital area was kind of chaotic at 8AM, and it added a bit of stress to me trying to find parking in the garage just before the interview. As far as tips, I would say to review your CASPA application and essay (they read these things before they interview you so it helped me to refresh what they were going to go over) and be able to proficiently answer the question "tell me a little bit about yourself". Also, have some questions ready because you'll spend the entire day with second year students. The second year students don't influence the admissions decision, so you can ask them anything that you may have a question about. Good luck!

Thanks so much for the tips! Really appreciate it. Definitely nervous, but its a good nervous! So excited to be interviewing. Good luck with everything, wish you the best!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The interview experience was vastly superior to many of the other programs...." hrrm...I'm not sure if that's good or bad! I'm assuming you felt the questions were more difficult/in depth? Nevertheless, thank you very much for the great advice! I'm excited for my interview on the 22nd!

Is anyone staying at the New Haven Hotel? If so, do you know the cheapest way to get from the airport to the hotel (shuttle? bus? taxi?)? I've spent some time searching, but I feel like I'm not looking in the right places. Thanks in advance!

Okadam: The interview experience is vastly superior because it is NOT pressure packed whatsoever. The questions they ask are just those so that they can get to know you. They make jokes and laugh throughout the interviews. It is very relaxing.

Overseas: I was in the first interview session on the 15th and was told by David that they were going to interview everyone before letting anyone know of their acceptance or rejection (This is different than how they have worked in the previous years). He said the last interview is Nov 19th so we should expect to hear back shortly there after.

If anyone's trying to figure out hotel arrangements, I booked a room at the La Quinta Hotel in New Haven for only $85. I read previous interview posts and someone suggested it. They also provide a shuttle to Yale so that will be easier than trying to drive around and find parking. If anyone's staying there overnight the 22nd let me know!

I interviewed out there on the 16th. I agree, it was an awesome experience!! I would suggest going to the BAR dinner. The 1st years were really helpful. All around, Yale did an awesome job of giving me an unbiased view of what to expect. Unbiased as far as giving me the opportunity to talk to probably half of the 1st year class. Anyway, I got into town a day early and did the whole tourist thing. I flew out from the mountain west, so it worked best for me. It was worth the time. Take the undergrad tour if you get in early enough. They run 2 a day, at 10:30 and 2. Hilarious!! Good luck!

I just finished the interview an hour ago.... let's just say, it's a phenomenal program. The people there are so welcoming and they try very hard to get you relaxed. I dont think I've felt this good during/after an interview before...they really want to get to know you and I feel like they ask the appropriate questions to get the most out of you. After most interviews, I'd leave thinking, "UGH they didn't get to know me..." Not this one!

My experience at La Quinta hasn't been stellar so anyone planning to stay there might want to reconsider. I'm still here because my flight home is tomorrow but I have to wear earplugs to watch TV because the volume is stuck pretty loud, the bathroom outlet doesn't work and there aren't any others near it which is annoying when doing hair/steaming clothes (the hangers are attached to the rail), my coffee maker tray for the grounds is missing and to top it all off I just noticed that my smoke detector has been ripped from the wall and the wires are hanging down. It isn't horrible, but if you are an easily stressed or frustrated person you might want to just spend the money on one of the nicer hotels closer to the university.

As far as the interview goes, it was fairly relaxed and the program was cool, as everyone has said. You interview either in the morning of afternoon and you don't have much time to wait around between the two to become nervous. I liked that a lot, especially because I interviewed in the morning. I'm not sure that it's the right fit for me, though. After today I'm pretty certain I will be going to a previous program I interviewed with that I felt I would enjoy more. Good luck to all of you!

• 2 weeks later...
I am going to interview in just a few days, the 19th. Thanks everyone for your advice! I am really looking forward to the day. I am wondering though, about how many people attend each interview day? Around 30? Thanks!

There were about 20 or so folks when I interviewed last month. They separate you into 2 teams after a few program overview lectures with one team going on a tour and the other team knocking out the interviews. After having lunch with some second year students, the teams alternate. Can you let us know when they expect to notify the candidates? As another poster mentioned, I'm curious if Hurricane Sandy will offset the tentative timeline. Good luck at your interview!

Archived