Need advice

Hey everyone. New graduate and recently passed the PANCE (Huzzah!).

I need advice regarding a contract that I just signed yesterday. I have been in the process of applying for EM fellowships/residencies and this is the ONLY job that I had applied to. This is truly a dream job for me in terms of location / pay / specialty / on-board training. Recently during my interviewing phase for fellowships and residencies I had one at a program that people would kill for and it went ...okay. Given that residencies and fellowships are super competitive and I had been getting denied by these programs as of late, I just opted to forego waiting to hear back and signed the contract. Today, I received a message from one of my professors saying that this residency has reached out to them for more information about me. 

I have yet to even onboard for this job, I have yet to even be licensed in the state I applied to. There is a clause mentioning that the contract can be terminated if given a 90 day notice. 

One part of me is just thinking that this is a formality that residency programs do...it is not like I am accepted. 

I feel stupid. All I had to do was wait 1.5 weeks and then I should've signed the contract upon hearing that I did not get into the program. 

Any advice? (yes, I know I messed up so spare me). 

One part of me, if I am accepted, wants to reach out to the dream job and tell them straight up to renegotiate the contract and let me sign one to work for them after being extensively trained at the residency program.

27 minutes ago, teamsleep said:

Hey everyone. New graduate and recently passed the PANCE (Huzzah!).

I need advice regarding a contract that I just signed yesterday. I have been in the process of applying for EM fellowships/residencies and this is the ONLY job that I had applied to. This is truly a dream job for me in terms of location / pay / specialty / on-board training. Recently during my interviewing phase for fellowships and residencies I had one at a program that people would kill for and it went ...okay. Given that residencies and fellowships are super competitive and I had been getting denied by these programs as of late, I just opted to forego waiting to hear back and signed the contract. Today, I received a message from one of my professors saying that this residency has reached out to them for more information about me. 

I have yet to even onboard for this job, I have yet to even be licensed in the state I applied to. There is a clause mentioning that the contract can be terminated if given a 90 day notice. 

One part of me is just thinking that this is a formality that residency programs do...it is not like I am accepted. 

I feel stupid. All I had to do was wait 1.5 weeks and then I should've signed the contract upon hearing that I did not get into the program. 

Any advice? (yes, I know I messed up so spare me). 

One part of me, if I am accepted, wants to reach out to the dream job and tell them straight up to renegotiate the contract and let me sign one to work for them after being extensively trained at the residency program.

...If you have the dream job which is going to take the time to onboard you properly and train you up I'd just go with it.  While there are significant benefits to a residency, one of those benefits is being able to get your "dream job".  If it's staring you in the face then take it. 

Nobody is going to wait on you.  There is meat to be moved, tubes to be placed, goo to be drained, sandwiches to be handed out.  If you don't take this position the chance of there being one down the road when you're in a position to take it may not be there.

Again though, the emphasis should be that this position is going to prepare you for the job rather than just throw you in, which it sounds like you believe it will.  A residency talking to your professors means nothing off hand.

• Like 2