Your opinion on this, and how to retake a class you didn't fail?

I got a C- in the third course of a 3-courses biochem sequence. I'm emailing admissions officers of the schools I'll be applying to right now, to see if it's a big deal. I did well in both general chem and organic chem, so fulfilling prereqs wise, I don't really need this biochem sequence. But suppose they do find it a big deal, how do I retake this course? So far, all the community colleges that I've checked do not offer biochemistry courses. I would've retaken it, but my university's policy is that you can only retake a class if you failed it(D). I hear you guys giving advice like "You should retake XXXX and XXXX," but I've actually never understood how you could do that, especially if that person got a passing grade.

Sorry if this has been asked before in the past, but I tried using both google search and forum search to see if this has been asked. Didn't work. I would also appreciate it if you guys can give me your opinion about the C- in biochem. Thanks a lot for the help, guys!

hi

i'm in a similar situation. i got a c- in biochem. but i'm going to take it a again online with UNE. it's pricey but it seems that course is going to satisfy a lot of PA schools according to their website. CC doesn't have any biochem class, well not in southern CA anyway. good luck. and i would try to retake any science courses with a c or lower.

Hi David, thank you so much for your reply! I'm from SoCal too. So far I've gotten a reply from one of the schools I'll be applying to. She said if I have general chem, then I wouldn't need biochem(so I assume it's not that important for my case). Is biochem a definite prereq for the school you'll be applying to? Or have you heard otherwise from someone(that although it's not a prereq, but it's one of those make-or-break things)? Just checked UNE. Whoah. 1.32k. I would really rather not fork out $1320 just to retake a class if I don't have to. But thanks for informing me of this online class.

Just another FYI for people reading this right now, I don't desperately need to pull up my GPA or anything. I'm just worried about this particular prereq issue. Thanks again.

ohh, if you don't need to raise your gpa then i wouldn't bother spending that money lol. you can just apply to programs that don't require biochem. but if you do apply to programs that require biochem, they might ask "hmm you did pretty good on the first 2 courses but got a c- on the 3rd course of the biochem sequence?"

just be ready if they ask you that..

btw, what part of socal you're from?

Is biochem a definite prereq for the school you'll be applying to? i didn't really apply to any program that requires biochem. but i'm going to retake it anyway because i really really want to get in pa school. in case i don't get in this year, i'll apply to programs that do require biochem as prereq next year.

Guest hubbardtim48

From my undergrad. University, a C - was failing (1.7 gpa). I never had to retake a class, but I have had friends retake o-chem I/II even though they got a C....I think if you get special permission from the professor the University will let you retake it...just explain it to the professor if the adcom wants you to retake it. Good luck! :)

@EMEDPA: Well, I think I'm just at this stage where I become overly paranoid because I don't want to waste a year(not getting any interviews) over something I could've easily rectified, yer know? Right now I'm worried that these schools which listed "either general chem or biochem" requisite will forcefully treat biochem as the prereq course and general chem as the additional science course. It's kind of absurd... given my understanding of the term "or," even I know that. But like I said... I'm at this overly paranoid stage. Lol.

@david: I'm in the SGV area. So probably looking to apply to schools in CA and OHSU. Hehe.

@hubbard: Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortuntely(or fortunately), I've already graduated from my university. So I guess that won't be an option anymore. Haha.

What was your actual percentage or grade posted on your transcript? You may find that CASPA generously rounds that up for you if you're in between two grades. If your other stats are pretty solid (GPA, healthcare experience, volunteering, GRE), one C- won't reflect poorly on you. I landed a C- in Organic Chemistry I, and received an interview invite to all but one of the schools I applied to. Most schools are looking for the overall picture, and one class won't distort that image. Good luck!

Archived