Question for the RTs, 4 year or 2 year program?

I'm finishing up my prereqs for entry into an RT program to gain HCE. I'm currently stuck between applying to a 2 year or a 4 year program. It seems employment with either will not be an issue. Is this correct?

I'm leaning toward the 2 year because I'd like to get my degree in Health studies. I'm definitely set on becoming an RT. The program interests me and I've talked to enough RTs to feel confident the work will keep me engaged for the years it takes to get into a PA program. Any advice is appreciated.

I'm not an RT, but I hang out with a bunch of them. As far as I know there is NO advantage to having a 4 year RT degree over a 2 year degree for entry level RT jobs. The only time I have seen "bachelors degree preferred/required" is management level jobs. (and even then it doesn't really matter what the bachelors degree is in)

If you want to work as an RT while you are working on your PA prereqs (an excellent plan, by the way) I would say you should go with the 2 year program and get started working as soon as possible.

Guest hubbardtim48

I got my B.S. in Respiratory Therapy, but I luckily could substitute some of the science classes I needed for my B.S. toward my pre-PA track. If I were you I would just do the 2 year RT program so you can work (gain HCE/make $) while finishing up your B.S in Health Science. The B.S. will do nothing for you in RT unless you do something very specific in the RT field, but that comes with time. If your goals are truly PA then I would get a B.S in some science field with maybe a minor in chemistry or something like that. I am saying don't get a BS in RT because I screwed my self by substituting all those science classes into my BSRT, but truly I finished a BS in Cell and Molecular Biology, but was unable to graduate with that BS (which I think would look better to the admissions committee than a RT degree). You will love the field and learn a lot, but it is something I could not do for the rest of my life, so that is why I went in to PA. Good luck!

Guest carolanimal

Allow me to be the contrarian here and say that I think you should finish out your four year and put your best effort into your science classes. GPA is paramount nowadays and most schools don't care much for HCE anymore. Finish the four year with a good science GPA and then work for a year as a RT. Just having worked as an RT for a year will put you far ahead clinically over CNAs who just do vitals, fold linens and give baths. If you get oriented to the critical care unit, you'll be light years ahead. At the hospital I work at, the higher skilled RTs (myself being one) get to see and be part of some pretty interesting clinical stuff, but it's very physically demanding work and it can distract from your studies. Just keep that in mind. I'm a RRT, by the way.

Also, remember that it will be required to have a four year degree to get into PA school by 2020 (will go by faster than you think). If you're already planning in getting a bachelors in something else then no biggie, but it is hard to go back to school once you get out for a while & are employed.

Sure, but why not get the 2 year RT degree, work as an RT and then take classes part time to finish the PA school pre-reqs and earn a bachelors? (If you work for a large hospital they will often pay for this). A year of RT, nursing, paramedic, or any other high level health profession is barely enough to get your feet wet. You want to work in the field long enough to actually develop some copetence, confidence, and expertise that you can carry with you into your work as a PA.

Another RT weighing in here: do yourself a favor and get the 2 year degree. Work for a hospital that pays tuition reimbursement, and get the BS in health science as you work, getting 2 years of RT HCE in. This way, you'll have more HCE when you apply. If you get the BSRT, you will have no HCE as an RT at the end of the BS. There is no clinical difference between an AS or BS level RT, you are able to sit for the RRT with either degree.

Guest hubbardtim48

Agree with GatorRRT. Again, carolanimal, read my post on why I would go back and just get a 2 year degree then work while getting a science degree such as biochem. or mole. bio, etc.. You will just be wasting 2 years in RT school not getting HCE and taking stupid science classes that are not pre-reqs for PA school. I have been there and done the 4 year thing and wish I did not. Also, TONS of schools LOVE LOVE LOVE/require HCE so it is just not GPA my friend, it is both GPA and HCE. Look at my school for instance...

My only concern was the ability to find a position with the 2 year degree. Now that I see that's not a problem, I can't see a reason why the 4 year would benefit me in anyway. Thank you for the tuition reimbursement advice. I didn't know that was a possibility, but it's really exciting. It would be amazing to be a little bit less broke, haha.

Guest carolanimal

You won't have any trouble finding a job with an associate's degree. BSRT isn't the standard like a BSN is.

Now for my Debbie Downer portion:

I would not count on tuition reimbursement, especially in this economy. I know that there are a handful of schools that prize HCE, but honestly most do not really seem to make that big of a deal of it. Most people getting into school are CNA's and EMT-B's with a couple months paid experience it looks like. Many not even that. Read the other thread with the methodist ADCOM answering. Just do whatever you can to protect your GPA. Work PRN if you can.

Either way, as a RT, you will get a great head start on building your clinical judgment. If you work ER or ICU and have a really great medical director that lets RT have some autonomy, you will be in the "trenches" of patient care.

The programs I'm focused on still value a good amount of HCE. I'm not just focusing on RT for the HCE, my son sees an RT regularly and I think the training and better understanding of his disease will be a huge benefit. It seems like a great way to experience hands on care and a way to see a large variety of patients. The pay will allow me to put a little back, even if tuition reimbursement isn't an option. CNA has never appealed to me (my mom is one) and EMT-B seems completely over saturated in my area. Thanks everyone for your input. It's what makes this site so valuable IMO.

Archived