help! medical biller/collector and HCE

Currently I work as a collecotr/biller. Although I sit behind a computer and talk on the phone, I think this job exposed me to many different procedures which go on in a provider's office and gave me a unique perspective on healthcare; the financial aspect. I try to help patients with their insurance and work hand in hand with doctors to help their cpt procedures get covered. Do you think this particular job is beneficial for applying to PA school and how would they look at it? I mean I look at patient's histories everyday.

On the other, I am thinking of getting a phlebotomy and EKG certification next month so I can work as a phlebotomist/EKG technician or try to obtain a medical assistant position. With the medical biller/collecotor experience, EKG/phlebotomy certification (apply these to a medical assistant position hopefully), hospital volunteering, shadowed 8 PA's and 2 MD. Do you think this list of HCE/activities would suffice for PA school? What position besides medical assistant would you suggest I do conisdering I have a little more than a year before PA school applications. Thank you so much again.

• Administrator

Why on earth did you shadow that much?

No, contractor/biller is not direct patient care, but yes, it is applicable to PA school applications, as other HCE. It would go well with a couple thousand hours of MA work. Don't get hung up on applying on your schedule--lots of people don't get in the first time.

No, contractor/biller is not direct patient care, but yes, it is applicable to PA school applications, as other HCE. It would go well with a couple thousand hours of MA work. Don't get hung up on applying on your schedule--lots of people don't get in the first time.

good advice.

Archived