What To Do Next?

Hi everyone, 

I am a second time applicant and so far it I have had 3 rejections already. One of the three programs I got an interview from the last cycle and this cycle I was rejected again but without an interview despite making improvements on my application. Im not sure what I am doing wrong and I am not sure if its even worth preparing for the third cycle. Is there any services that will look at my application in great detail to see what I am doing wrong? even though my GPA is on the lower end, I don't think my stats are THAT bad so I'm extremely confused. There are other applicants that are getting accepted with much lower stats and I just don't understand why. (sorry if it feels like im complaining, its just extremely frustrating and maybe this isn't the profession for me and I am just being hard headed and not seeing the signs). I am just lost and I need some professional guidance because there is obviously something I am missing I just dont know what. I want to keep taking courses but I dont even know if that's still the right move anymore. 

*ive tried to ask programs for feedback but of course they give the generic answer and say PA school is extremely competitive and to compare my stats to their website*

These are my stats if it helps:

(2020-2021 cycle): (I did not use any editing services for my personal statement or supplemental applications) 

cGPA: 3.23

sGPA: 3.13

GRE: n/a

volunteer 175

PCE: 3200

shadowing: 110

(2021-2022 cycle): (used my PA resource twice and rewrote my personal statement and thePAplatform for supplementals) 

cGPA: 3.30

sGPA: 3.23

last 60 GPA: 3.95 (all A's in science courses: cell bio, genetics, A&P 1 & 2, virology, chem 2, stats, pathophysiology, med term, microbio, etc) 

GRE: n/a

volunteer 350 (free medical clinic *still volunteering*)

PCE: 4200 (EMT, PCA, ER Tech)

shadowing: 120 (IR PA, CT PA, family medicine physician) 

LOR: all great letters from genetics professor, family medicine physician, volunteer director, Nurse Manager (they showed me what they were going to send even though I never ask them to show me) 

I know it’s frustrating but don’t give up! If becoming a PA is your passion you will find a way! You have clearly made improvements in your application, did your narrative/personal statement change much since the last cycle? Did you apply to a good number of programs? Did you use new references? As someone with a lower end overall, I can tell you it can be done! Maybe apply to more schools- (my program’s deadline is Aug. 1!! 🙂 ) Good luck!  Most of us have been there!!

• Like 1

Your stats actually look okay. I suspect three reasons you aren't having success: 

1) You may be applying to programs that aren't a good fit (specifically thinking of schools that want high GPA applicants). Really consider how you compare with the accepted student profile (if that information is published) and also think about how you fit with their mission statement. If there's a supplemental where you can highlight your unique fit, use that to your advantage!

2) You may be missing a prerequisite, a letter from a PA, or something else that a school requires. I would double and triple check that you're meeting every single requirement.

3) If I could advise you to do just one thing, it's to take the GRE. You are really limiting your options by not having that score in your application. Often schools don't even specifically care how you do (conventional wisdom around here is that >300 checks the box). Yes, it's annoying and expensive, but far less annoying and expensive than continuing to retake classes. With the GRE, you can apply to so many programs (off the top of my head from my application list three years ago - Duke, Bryant, Tufts, GW, Marist, Arcadia, and Temple would all be good options for you if you take the GRE). Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1madmamma said:

I know it’s frustrating but don’t give up! If becoming a PA is your passion you will find a way! You have clearly made improvements in your application, did your narrative/personal statement change much since the last cycle? Did you apply to a good number of programs? Did you use new references? As someone with a lower end overall, I can tell you it can be done! Maybe apply to more schools- (my program’s deadline is Aug. 1!! 🙂 ) Good luck!  Most of us have been there!!

my personal statement changed and I did add how ive made improvements and I also added my new volunteer experience :/. As for references I had completely new references (except the nurse manager) because everyone else ignored me lol. And I applied to 22 programs last year and 16 this year :'(. I don't know honestly. Im going to see how this cycle goes its just hard to improve when programs don't give feedback and there is no guidance. Hopefully I will find answers before I quit. 

14 minutes ago, nichole96 said:

Your stats actually look okay. I suspect three reasons you aren't having success: 

1) You may be applying to programs that aren't a good fit (specifically thinking of schools that want high GPA applicants). Really consider how you compare with the accepted student profile (if that information is published) and also think about how you fit with their mission statement. If there's a supplemental where you can highlight your unique fit, use that to your advantage!

2) You may be missing a prerequisite, a letter from a PA, or something else that a school requires. I would double and triple check that you're meeting every single requirement.

3) If I could advise you to do just one thing, it's to take the GRE. You are really limiting your options by not having that score in your application. Often schools don't even specifically care how you do (conventional wisdom around here is that >300 checks the box). Yes, it's annoying and expensive, but far less annoying and expensive than continuing to retake classes. With the GRE, you can apply to so many programs (off the top of my head from my application list three years ago - Duke, Bryant, Tufts, GW, Marist, Arcadia, and Temple would all be good options for you if you take the GRE). Good luck!

I apply to programs that have a holistic approach. some programs dont post their stats because they dont think it helps and the average tends to be around 3.5 GPA but some go as low as 2.9 GPA. The programs have a focus on underserve communities and I have lots of experience with underserve communities. And last I meet all of their prerequisite with A's. If anything maybe I will try the GRE. 

Taking the GRE would open up a lot more options for schools for you. Also I would make sure none of the schools know that you're applying to 15+ schools. Doubtful that you have told them that but for future reference, don't. Any other part of your app you haven't told us about? A lot of withdrawals from courses? Criminal history? History of not staying dedicated to a career or school? Your GPA certainly isn't low enough to get automatically rejected unless you're applying to schools with 3.25+ gpa requirements or something. Are you sure your personal statement is solid? Maybe get some more solid volunteering hours?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, firstgenPA said:

my personal statement changed and I did add how ive made improvements and I also added my new volunteer experience :/. As for references I had completely new references (except the nurse manager) because everyone else ignored me lol. And I applied to 22 programs last year and 16 this year :'(. I don't know honestly. Im going to see how this cycle goes its just hard to improve when programs don't give feedback and there is no guidance. Hopefully I will find answers before I quit. 

Oh man 22!  16 is a fair number (I applied to 11, but withdrew my applications when I got into two programs I loved). One thing I love about my program is they actually offered one on one, in person feedback on your application (I think it was only for people who got an interview but then got rejected) I know this is rare, but so helpful to students who are right on the cusp! Consider looking into Westfield!  Your application looks pretty solid, but understand sometimes it’s not your application, but the pool of applicants you are up against. Chin up, think good thought!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, browens3pa said:

Taking the GRE would open up a lot more options for schools for you. Also I would make sure none of the schools know that you're applying to 15+ schools. Doubtful that you have told them that but for future reference, don't. Any other part of your app you haven't told us about? A lot of withdrawals from courses? Criminal history? History of not staying dedicated to a career or school? Your GPA certainly isn't low enough to get automatically rejected unless you're applying to schools with 3.25+ gpa requirements or something. Are you sure your personal statement is solid? Maybe get some more solid volunteering hours?

Yeah I dont mention how many schools im applying to. and also I dont have any withdraws, no criminal history, etc. I make sure I meet the program requirement. the highest GPA requirement ive applied to was a 3.20 for both overall and science. I literally cannot think of any reason that would get me rejected other than they are looking for a very specific person, GPA too low enough? idk.

I am running out of ideas so I may try getting a higher score on the GRE and just keep boosting my hours

3 hours ago, 1madmamma said:

Oh man 22!  16 is a fair number (I applied to 11, but withdrew my applications when I got into two programs I loved). One thing I love about my program is they actually offered one on one, in person feedback on your application (I think it was only for people who got an interview but then got rejected) I know this is rare, but so helpful to students who are right on the cusp! Consider looking into Westfield!  Your application looks pretty solid, but understand sometimes it’s not your application, but the pool of applicants you are up against. Chin up, think good thought!!

Thank you. I will look into that program. Best of luck in PA school!

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe go back to your personal statement. I applied to PA school twice and didn’t get in. On the third attempt I had someone look at my personal statement and point out it was all about my experience through college getting hours and how not getting in was a setback etc but I improved after that, it was terrible and kind of whiny. After that I completely redid it and didn’t even mention applying previously or even anything about my stats etc. I made it all about true patient stories / experiences that affected me and made me want to be a PA and it was a million times better. 

Some others to consider:

1. Are your experience descriptions ON POINT? Consider every entry a mini essay. Are you describing your experiences accurately? Are you showing what you've learned and what you've accomplished? Have you taken on new responsibilities (such as organizing a project, implementing a process, or precepting new hires? Are there opportunities to take on leadership roles? Really focus on maximizing these entries instead of just listing job duties. Same goes for shadowing! Really showcase why each experience made you certain/excited to be a PA. Depth of experience matters, not just breadth.

2. Are there non-healthcare experiences you can add? Especially if they are jobs, clubs, or volunteer experiences you've been at for a long time. For example, I've been an Alumni Interviewer for my college for several years. Not at all related to healthcare, but I really enjoy it and talked about how it was meaningful for me to connect with applicants to my alma mater and serve as their only personal connection to the school. You don't need to list EVERY non-healthcare thing you've done but consider it an opportunity to show more of who you are and what you care about.

3. Have you completed CME/additional training as part of your EMT license? List that when you list the certification. It shows that you're a lifelong learner.

4. Is there a state PA academy you can join? Getting involved in your local chapter can really help you network and learn more about the profession.

Schools that have rejected you more than once are likely telling you that you are not a good fit, especially if they've met you previously and rejected you the second time around. Don't take it personally, but consider it a redirection. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's tough to determine the full story and what might be going on just from stats. All of the elements of the application make up the full package. Do you have any PAs (such as those you shadowed) who might be willing to scan over a pdf of your full app and give any thoughts? I've thought about doing that before but haven't yet. (I'm a 3rd time applicant, right there with you on the struggle bus.)

Just wanted to chime in and wish you good luck and to hang in there! 3 rejections means you still have 13 left to hear from, and maybe 1 of them will be your perfect match.