How can I boost my App?

I realize my GPA is a bit on the low side. Is there anything I can do, in the meantime, to help my application if I were to obtain any interviews? I'm applying to Pennsylvania schools, a couple in NY, and MUSC

Undergrad School: University of Rochester

Majors: Microbiology, American Sign Language

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.1

Science Undergrad. GPA: 2.9

LOR: 2 PhD Profs, Paramedic Employer

1st GRE: 309

Direct Patient Care

1,400 hours - EMT (3 different stations, Crew Chief at volunteer station)

Extracurricular/Research Activities:

Research Assistant in Microbiology Lab

Division III Swimming, 4 years

*Edit:

I've taken Immunology, Microbial Genetics, Microbiology, MBI Lab all at the Graduate level, and I will be taking Virology. My major, unlike the others at my school, requires MBI to take the classes through the post-bacc program with other grad students. So I know I'm able to handle the workload!

*which is why my sGPA is lower- I'm competing with Graduate students, as an undergrad

Guest hubbardtim48

GPA is on the very low side...there are schools that wouldn't even look at you becuase your SGPA below a 3.0. If it was me I would take post-bacc. classes in hard sciences to prove to them that you can handle the rigors of PA school. Advanced bio, anatomy, physiology,org 1/2, biochem, physical chem etc...I know my school like my 1 1/2 years of biochem research so think about research, maybe in micro etc...? I feel like it is your GPA that is holding you back not the EMT hours, or LORs or GRE...Good luck and god bless! :)

I've taken Immunology, Microbial Genetics, Microbiology, MBI Lab all at the Graduate level, and I will be taking Virology. My major, unlike the others at my school, requires MBI to take the classes through the post-bacc program with other grad students. So I know I'm able to handle the workload!

*which is why my sGPA is lower- I'm competing with Graduate students, as an undergrad

Guest hubbardtim48

I know what you mean asunderm. I did the same thing you did at my University and had several classes with graduate students (CRNAs), but the different between my 500 level and the CRNAs 600 level class was they had to do a presentation at the end of the semester for each class over a topic (a 15-20 min lecture), but the lecture portion was exactly the same.I never competed with graduate student when I did my classes in undergrad...I don't know what you mean by that statement. Some of the classes I took included molecular cell biology, cardiopulmonary physiology and biostats. Those were my main 3 from undergrad. and did more post-bacc while I was waiting on wife to get done with school so we could move. I guess you can say you can handle the workload, but you have to get a 3.0 or higher in PA school (or at least mine) and that is why the national average is 3.5 because you have fudge room because not the material is harder in PA school, but the amount of work is greater than undergrad./post. bacc. What is MBI? I would still take at least 4-5 hard sciences like you have taken and get all As in these classes. I would also go as far to say take multiple at a time because they like to see full-time credit hours (in summer/fall/spring) what ever the amount is called full-time at your school I would take the minimum. I am working as an RT full time and will be done with my first semester of PA school in 3 weeks. I am cutting my hours down to 24 a week, but if I can handle 10 credit hours in the summer (which is on the high side of full time) and work full time and have a life with family/friends and maintain a gpa > 3.0 then I don't see a reason why you cant take several classes and work at the same time....just my 2 cents and I don't want you to feel like you are all alone out there...I busted by BUTT off in undergrad. to get to where I am today. i.e. full time student, worked full time as an RT and did 30-40 hours a week in biochem research lab...so you are not alone my friend!:) we have been there and done everything you have/are doing. Good luck! :)

Ah ok- MBI = Microbiology- sorry!

We do have some presentations in class with the grad students too. But the classes do have a minor curve which all of the grad students set because they have 3,4 years of intense microbio education on us undergrads!

I am 100% sure I'm able to handle the workload! Currently, at school, I am at swim practice for 30 hours a week, work as an EMT (12 hour overnight shifts) twice a week (sometimes straight into a morning 6am swim practice!). So I lose about 44 hours a week to extracurriculars/work while maintaining my academic standing as a microbio student/dual major in ASL. I won't be swimming in PA school and most likely will not be working as an EMT, so theres over 40 free hours a week :)

The thing is, like you said, I don't know how I can get this information across to the admissions people if they just look at my GPA- there's much more to me than paper!

*Edit: and thank you for replying! :)

Guest hubbardtim48

Excatly! They will not even look at you with that GPA. I was told this by my adcom and if Emed looks at this thread he can tell you about the application process becasue he is on adcoms, but they will just throw everyone that doesn't mean the GPA and not even look at them. I feel like you were kind of in my shoes and needed more, so I volunteered more and did a medical missions trip and got two research articles published while working as an RT and taking 1-2 classes a semester (my GPA was fine, I just took classes because I wanted to), but for you I would PROVE to the adcom that you can handle all that plus several hard sciences or they will never even know who you are with that GPA. I feel like you have a solid background, just need to make it SHINE! :)

I see what you're saying :)

I still am going to apply on this cycle. A handful of the schools actually meet my GPA requirements. I also have talked to a friend, in similar GPA/experience shoes, who got into multiple schools and will be going to Emory's program. I feel it's still very possible for my GPA. In the meantime I'll try to volunteer/shadow at other places to show some more initiative

Thank you very much for your advice!

Archived