new grad offer

29 minutes ago, Ferguss said:

Hello,

Wanted to hear how this offer sounds, I graduate this summer.

• General surgery PA position at a community hospital in the northeast. Position is OR/floor/consults only. No clinic. No residents.

105,000 base compensation.

3 shifts per week for a total of 40 hours (scheduled for one night shift per week). Schedule is rotating days/nights/weekends/holidays. About an extra 5,000 dollars to the base pay can be expected for night/weekend differentials.

PTO is 200 hours per year. CME 40 hours with $2,000 stipend. Malpractice with tail-coverage 401k match up to par with what ive seen.

Seems like a great team of PA's, i enjoyed interviewing with them. The training schedule is well defined and they have trained up new grads recently. I have been looking to get into surgery and sounds like this will be a great opportunity with good training. My only concern is the salary seems a bit low and according to HR they do not negotiate with new grads. AAPA salary report for new grad in gen surg 50th percentile is 100,000 (+9,000 bonus) from 2019 and 101,000 (+5,000 bonus) from 2020.

Is it common for larger institutions to state that they do not negotiate? Especially with new grads? Thanks!

I mean...Salary seems pretty good for a new grad who probably has little to no skills (I'm assuming you're not coming from an OR tech/scrub tech background).  Very common for larger systems to not negotiate, some will offer extra CME $$$ but you're sitting awfully nice at the moment, especially considering the current climate. 

If you like surgery, I'd take in a heartbeat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1