new PA dilemma

Hi everyone.

i am a new graduate (July 2012) and just got boards certified and have several questions in mind about a position i recently got offered. This is an ED position (which i feel is a great opportunity to come by as a new grad) in New york which sounds fantastic. I was told the PA's here run the ED with attendings and there are no residents so all the procedures are done by us. I feel this is a great opportunity for me especially to further develop my skills and education. Benefits are great however the down side is that the overall salary is in the low 70k for 3 days/wk, 12 hrs a day. i was told i cannot pursue a second job for the first 6 months of working. I know as a new graduate i dont have much leverage however i feel like this is just too low. I graduated with a GPA of 3.94 with honors, great attitude, quick learner and great hands on skills. I've went on 4 other interviews politely turning down 2 because they weren't positions i saw my self working in and 2 others that told me to contact them when im certified but havent heard of them as of yet. I havent sent out too much resumes just yet and i feel like i just scratched the surface of seeking jobs. This opportunity position sounds great however but they pay is the lowest i've been offered and on the low side of the PA salary spectrum. What do you think i should do? Should i continue applying for other jobs or just work the first 6 months, gain the experience and apply for a second hospital job 6 months from now?

• Administrator

Will they let you grab other shifts?

Assuming benefits are good, $70k for 36h/week works out to about $77k for 1.0 FTE, which isn't QUITE as bad. At my cost of living (NOT NY by any means...) I might consider that, but it is on the low side for EM. The earnings potential after a couple of years, though... Getting in the door in EM as a new grad has some value, you just have to decide whether it's enough for you to work for that pay.

you really need to decide how important being in nyc is to you. a good friend of mine works ct surgery/critical care in nyc. has for over 10 yrs and makes around 85k. there are lots of pa's there so salaries will be low. that does sound like a great job and if you want to stay in the area I would take it. after 6 mo you can look into some per diem work elsewhere like upstate ny which tends to pay more. good luck.

Archived