HELP please:

Seeking advice regarding leaving current position!

I am a new PA and have been practicing in my current position for 1.5 years. Currently working as a hospitalist PA for a major health system in Pittsburgh PA. Pay is awful (less than 80k...) hours suck, I drive 45 mins each way .. so many cons but I took what I could get out of school. When I started this job I had the option to take a sign on bonus of 8k if I agreed to stay full time for 2 years (until October 2021).

I was planning to stay for the 2 years then bounce but an opportunity came about that I couldn’t pass up at least applying for. I was offered the job on the spot and now I’m torn.

The new job is M-F, no call, weekends or holidays. My SP seems wonderful, the APPs love their job there, Pay raise would be 30k. Many other pros to this new position.

Cons: breaking my current contract means paying my employer 8k (a hit but worth it IMO given the salary increase), leaving a job I just started to feel comfortable doing, and being the only PA in the new practice (they have NPs but no PAs).

Has anyone been through a similar situation or does anyone have any advice? 

I want this job so badly but I’m so worried about leaving my current position for some reason.. just feels like I’m doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance!

In the interest of professionalism I'd recommend giving 3mos notice, allows time for credentialing through the new position as well as time for your current organization to find your replacement.

That would leave you 2mos left on your contract, I highly doubt they'd come after you for the full 8k over 2mos. If they did you can argue that they pro-rated it, you can also check your state laws regarding them clawing it back.

Accept the new position but don't be a jerk at your current one leaving them high and dry. Good luck! 

• Like 1