Bachelor's vs. Master's Salary Comparison

As a physician assistant with 7 years experience I just completed my Master's Degree as a PA. I graduated with a BS degree 7 years ago. Each one of the PA's that I work with have BS degrees. I work FP with some IM and ER call in a rural area. Out of curiousity, is there any salary difference once one has obtained the higher degree? Or is it just a matter of whether one is certified as a physician assistant? I am curious as to whether or not it is something to bring up to my employer or just chalk it up so self improvement. Any advice is helpful.

I had considered getting a PsyD but will wait for now....I have seen enough of the books for a year or so. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Best bet on level of experience / mastery of setting / patient satisfaction for pushing for higher pay...and the professional motivation factor exhibited by initiative for pursuing/completing your Master's secondary. My base of comment: Over 12yrs as a PA now, and military service before that, all settings rural/inner city/private/disadvantage/hospital/managed care IPA, pretty broad sample of experience. Go for it and bring your experience to the table. Personally balk at having to talk money for what I love to do...but, it is a sane move to advocate for yourself! All the Best.

• 2 weeks later...

I had no intentions of bringing it up to my supervising physician as a reason for a raise, but I have a yearly evaluation and was considering putting a little more "umph" into discussing my educational advancement if it had any benefit. It is difficult at our practice as the supervising physician only hears our "progress" that is filtered through the office manager who seldom has her facts correct. I've seen peers have their records tarnished with "MISSING ADMIT H&P's", mistakes with number of sick days, and such, when in reality the manager never corrected the errors when they were found. There is no real way to discuss this directly with the physician as the manager and her are related...So the supervising physician needs all the good info they can get in the few minutes of their time that we have to consider advancement. It's the one time of year we get to try to prove we are not "mentally challenged monkeys" even though our job responsibility is very high and the autonomy extremely high. Unfortunately the process does not appear to be resolving although attempts have been made. Gotta take the good with the bad and just smile through it...

Thank you for your replies.

Archived