does indicating I'm a parent put my application as at disadvantage?

Hello

I'm in the process of having some PAs I know critique my personal essay.  One PA indicated that PA schools may look negatively on having kids, even if this is unintentional.  I mainly just mention them  to support that I am determined to become a PA by taking prerequisites, the GRE, while working and parenting 2 kids under 3 during the pandemic (as I'm sure many others have/are doing!).  I could definitely take this point out (it's only one sentence) but I thought I might see if anyone knew from personal experience if PA school admissions did seem to have any bias to applicants that are parents.  Thanks in advance!

Hello! 

I am also a mom of two kids under three and all the schools I have reached out to have been impressed that I was able to maintain competitive grades and work while being a mother. My advice? Use it to your advantage, parent's are amazing at time management and truly work hard to achieve their goals. 

You got this!

Ps. most of my colleagues,  who are currently PA-S or PA-C, have told me that their classes had many students who were parents and one even had someone give birth in the middle of the first year. Don't stress. 

Edited by Sw3605
  • Upvote 1

Hi, I’m a current PA student and mom of 3. I did not mention my kids in my narrative, however I was asked at one program I was accepted to (that I declined) “how will you manage our extremely difficult program with three kids?” I had to tell them I was currently a SAHM. Not for nothing but I was waitlisted at the school the previous year and had the same guy (first interview was one on one, second year it was a panel) ask me the exact same question. I was floored because I suspect he would not ask a man that same question. There are three of us who are parents in my cohort and I know there are at least a couple in the class above us. My program never asked, and it’s not been a problem (they are super family supportive anyway!)  My advice would be don’t mention it in your narrative, but be able to tie being a mom into your interview answers. In my mind it gives them a reason to question if would be able to manage their program- no need to give them reason to potentially pass you over.

• Upvote 1

Be who you are. All other jobs are taken!

I started school and became a grandfather early in my second semester. Where I now teach, we have had students who were parents when they started and some that added to their families while in school.

It is not uncommon for schools to wonder about your support structure. When I applied, they asked what my wife was going to do when I moved away to attend. I replied that it was going to be easier than for couples who have had to deploy or even for those who traveled extensively for decades as part of their jobs.

• Upvote 1

Just to add to what has already been said, I mentioned that I have two children in my COVID essay, essentially to demonstrate my ability to multitask despite a crazy situation. I was asked in my interviews about my family and my support system, but I saw it as an opportunity to play up my ability to succeed in a tough environment like PA school. Having kids means you’re already more mature and have a different perspective on healthcare and your career than the majority of PA school applicants. I wouldn’t see mentioning them as a negative as long as you frame it in the right way.