Best hidden secret - Emergency Medicine Physician Assistant Post-Graduate Residency Program At Milwaukee VA

Hello all, 

I am a graduate of the Emergency Medicine PA Post-Graduate Residency Program at the Milwaukee VA. The VA unfortunately doesn't do a great job of advertising their residencies. I had an amazing experience with this program and highly recommend it. Feel free to shoot me any questions about the residency. 

Pros:

-Amazing physicians, mid-levels, nurses and MAs. I absolutely hate the cold but would have stayed around just for the leadership and group you get to work with. 

-Ultrasound training with a fellowship trained EM physician. Awesome off-service rotations in cardiology, mental health, PM&R, trauma surgery at level 1 trauma center, and ICU. 

-Weekly grand rounds with the local physician EM residents. Weekly simulation labs/lectures. 

-Approx $78,000 salary for a year long program, which is much higher than most residencies. 

The VA also has EM residencies in New York, Philadelphia, Wichita, and Orlando. I'm very biased of course and would definitely advise you to pick Milwaukee. 

https://www.milwaukee.va.gov//MILWAUKEE/edu/Residencies/Emergency_Medicine/Emergency_Medicine_Physician_Assistant_Post-Graduate_Residency_Program.asp

Edited by sammylittle12`
grammatical errors
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

How did you find out about this residency? I thought I saw something about the EM Residency at the Orlando VA, but I couldn't find any more information about it on the website (even though it talked about other post-graduate opportunities). But the weird part is that I found a recently expired job posting by the Orlando VA looking for a EM PA to lead the residency.

On 12/27/2020 at 8:11 AM, sammylittle12` said:

Sorry for the delay in response. I was a VA HPSP scholar so I had a 2 year obligation with the VA after PA school. I started asking a lot of questions about residencies to my placement coordinator and ended up with a list of all the VA residencies, it wasn’t being advertised unfortunately.

Any way we could get that list from you?

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/27/2020 at 10:11 AM, sammylittle12` said:

Sorry for the delay in response. I was a VA HPSP scholar so I had a 2 year obligation with the VA after PA school. I started asking a lot of questions about residencies to my placement coordinator and ended up with a list of all the VA residencies, it wasn’t being advertised unfortunately.

Hey there! I am a HPSP scholar as well and wanted to know if you figured out how that works in regards to the obligation (whether the obligation clock doesn't start until you complete, etc.)

• 1 month later...

I would recommend finding a clear way to articulate why you want to pursue emergency medicine. The staff at Milwaukee are very personable, so let them get to know you through your interview or application. Since EM is team based, I would highlight experiences that show you enjoy and work well within a team. Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any specific questions. Good luck! 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...