Need some advice from Pre-PAs or PAs

So, I imagine this concept has been debated ad nauseum, but I'm having a hard time deciding between PA school and medical school, assuming that I can even get into either one. Here are some things about me:

• Female. I'm 21 about to be 22, probably be 24 when I graduate (5 year student)
  • I attend a well-respected national university as a Bio major with a 3.5 GPA currently. sGPA of 3.75
  • I like being the one in-charge and doing the decision making
  • I just got back from Europe and the UK, and I absolutely loved it. I'd really like to spend a lot of time travelling in my future. Maybe even relocate to the UK
  • I would like to have a family and free-time for said family.

So at this point, I'd really like some advice if at all possible. Anything would be helpful, and I'd definitely be SO greatful. Thanks in advance :)

I'm not a PA (although I am in the healthcare field), but I have lived and worked in several countries in Africa and Europe. It is **very difficult** to get a work permit. And your PA degree may not even be recognized in those countries. So be sure to plan and research carefully before you decide to relocate.

med school followed by a family practice residency. very family friendly pathway. really only ms 1 and internship are difficult out of those 7 years. if I had life to do over I would do med school in a heartbeat.

lots of prior threads here about md vs pa pathway. do a search.

Thanks liljb. I've already e-mailed the UK Association of Physician Assistants and asked how difficult it would be for a U.S. trained PA to obtain a job in the UK.

Also, thanks EMEDPA for chiming in as well. Do you mind if I ask, why is a FP residency favored over doing PA? I mean, don't PA's make just as much as FPs without as much hassle?

natl avg for pa's is around 90k, maxing out at 160(probably 98th %) or so unless you really luck out and step into some situation where you own a business, have other providers working for you, etc but that is at the 99.9% on a probability curve. do I know pa'a making > 200k. yup. total of 4 counting all pa's I know and they all work their butts off, several working multiple jobs and 25+days/mo. an avg fp md can make 180-200k to start for a 32 hr workweek with potential to much more if they are a good business person.

to "be the boss" as a pa you need to own the practice and hire an sp who you can replace at will. any other pa serves at the pleasure of their sp. I work alone but if my sp took exception to my pt care he could fire me in a heartbeat and the medical board and hospital would back him. end of story.he could do it because he didn't like my haircut or a picture on my facebook page. he only needs to say "it was done in the interest of pt safety". done deal.

You sound more like the med school type. Plenty of 24 year olds are starting med school. Apply 1 year before graduating and you're golden.

Sorry, MIWO3, PAs don't make as much as Family Medicine doctors. You make about half if you are lucky.

Where have you seen this information? Cause it sure isn't in the AAPA salary report.

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291071.htm

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291062.htm

Compare the the annual mean wage of "General Medical and Surgical Hospitals" for both the PAs and MDs. MD's = $170k, PAs = $90k. (I'm most definitely not well versed in taxes or any of the like) But, if you account for malpractice insurance and loan payments + interest on those loans, don't the numbers come out much closer with PAs having the lower opportunity cost? I mean, money isn't the reason for my decision. There are quite a few other things that factor into my decision. I'm just trying to understand all of this and make the best educated choice possible.

Archived