CAQ raise

My primary employer just decided to create a new pay scale for EM PAs who have the CAQ, both to encourage everyone to get it and to reward those who already have. $5/hr over base rate. Unexpected, but appreciated. We have 4 PAs on staff. I am the only full time. One other PA here just got the CAQ. 

I think it is likely that they will focus on hiring only residency trained and/or CAQ certified folks in the future. I can't say that I have a problem with that. The hospital has considered me "board certified in emergency medicine" and given me the same credentialing as the em boarded docs. Obviously this means I can generate more income for the hospital at lower cost because I can do things like procedural sedation, etc, without having to call in the CRNA(at added cost to the hospital). 

I think getting the EM CAQ in 2011 contributed significantly to getting every job since that time and also started me at a significantly higher pay rate than those without it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EMEDPA said:

My primary employer just decided to create a new pay scale for EM PAs who have the CAQ, both to encourage everyone to get it and to reward those who already have. $5/hr over base rate. Unexpected, but appreciated. We have 4 PAs on staff. I am the only full time. One other PA here just got the CAQ. 

I think it is likely that they will focus on hiring only residency trained and/or CAQ certified folks in the future. I can't say that I have a problem with that. The hospital has considered me "board certified in emergency medicine" and given me the same credentialing as the em boarded docs. Obviously this means I can generate more income for the hospital at lower cost because I can do things like procedural sedation, etc, without having to call in the CRNA(at added cost to the hospital). 

I think getting the EM CAQ in 2011 contributed significantly to getting every job since that time and also started me at a significantly higher pay rate than those without it. 

Good to hear. Another 6 weeks until I hear back about my test. I’ll have been at my current position about a year and I think I’m going to ask for a $5/hr raise for it and another $5/hr raise when I finish my doctorate.