Military Base Rotation as a Civilian

Hi all, I'm a P1 in Pennsylvania just trying to get my thoughts together for where I may want to do a few of my clinical rotations next year. I am a civilian with no military background, but I have an SO who is heading to Fort Rucker AL next year. I was wondering if any one has had any experience with this. Is there any chance of landing a clinical rotation down there? If so, how would I go about finding placement? I've seen a few posts saying it is possible, but these were 10+ years ago and obviously pre-COVID. 

Look like there is a residency at Fort Rucker, so I'd imagine it would be possible. Try contacting the base or if you can get a hold of the medical education department there. Since it isn't a large facility, I don't think you would learn much though since most of the patients there will be young and healthy (active duty or dependents).

1 hour ago, TheFatMan said:

Look like there is a residency at Fort Rucker, so I'd imagine it would be possible. Try contacting the base or if you can get a hold of the medical education department there. Since it isn't a large facility, I don't think you would learn much though since most of the patients there will be young and healthy (active duty or dependents).

FM in the military isn’t much different other than it has a larger women’s health component. I saw retirees and their spouses up to 99 years old, babies, AD spouses, many of them sick as shit and that’s why they stayed in the military, for the insurance.

i will say I don’t think residents are good teachers for PA students. They treat them like a medical student, meaning they teach a lot but don’t let them do much. PA students more often need to be treated like interns since they will be practicing the following year instead of training. My PA students in the military much preferred being with me over residents and attendings since I let them do so much.

agree with Fatman, talk with the GME office and they can set it up. Prepare to do a lot of calling and emailing to get someone to respond. 

• Upvote 2