School Requests Professional Headshot

Hello there!

I recently received an interview invite and the admissions officer is requesting a confirmation email with an attached "professional headshot." I've never had to take one before, and a quick "NYC professional headshots" Google search shows average prices of $300-500 for a single shot.

My question is: how much importance would you place on the photo quality if you were in my shoes? I want to send a nice photo taken 2 years ago but I'm worried it'll look too unprofessional. I'm not wearing a suit or tie, outdoor background that isn't completely blurred, and there's possibly too much skin showing (similar to this guy: https://www.simons.com/en/men-clothing/dress-shirts/easy-care/high-performance-faux-nylon-shirt-modern-fit--14479-20144#zoom).

All input greatly appreciated!

Hello there!

I recently received an interview invite and the admissions officer is requesting a confirmation email with an attached "professional headshot." I've never had to take one before, and a quick "NYC professional headshots" Google search shows average prices of $300-500 for a single shot.

My question is: how much importance would you place on the photo quality if you were in my shoes? I want to send a nice photo taken 2 years ago but I'm worried it'll look too unprofessional. I'm not wearing a suit or tie, outdoor background that isn't completely blurred, and there's possibly too much skin showing (similar to this guy: https://www.simons.com/en/men-clothing/dress-shirts/easy-care/high-performance-faux-nylon-shirt-modern-fit--14479-20144#zoom).

All input greatly appreciated!

I would put on a business casual outfit and have someone take a close-up with a phone, then email them a jpg file. It's probably just to recognize you and, if accepted, to use in a composite for the faculty.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

On 9/11/2020 at 7:11 AM, janemoe said:

Maybe ask the school if you can get a passport photo taken at a drugstore if you're concerned about taking it at home. Much cheaper than a professional headshot!

My plan was to have my friend do my makeup and take a picture outdoors but then the California wildfires had other plans so I used an old passport photo I had taken a couple of years ago. I was worried because I was wearing glasses and I have since had laser eye surgery but both schools I used it for accepted it so I would go with the passport photo route if you can. 

• Like 1