Trying to wiggle my way into PA school

Hello,

I am 23 currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in Nutrition science with a minor in Spanish. I had some set back that resulted in my GPA being less than sub-par in the eyes of admissions; I will end with around a 2.96. That being said, I don't want to give up on my dream. Since I can remember, I either wanted to be in the NBA(height didn't permit 0_o) or go into healthcare. During my high school years, I decided that PA was for me! My question is: can I obtain an ADN in nursing, work for a few years to build patient care experience and then apply to PA school? I have heard of many people pursuing PA after they completed a BSN but was curious if the same still applied for the 2-year ADN program. I have most of the prerequisites, minus physics and calc, given that my major was science heavy. Thanks for reading and i'd be grateful for a reply because currently my head is spinning!!

5 hours ago, dukkulisur said:

Alternatively, you could finish your degree in nutrition, complete a dietetic internship, become an RD, work in the clinical setting and get PCE that way.  That’s basically my story (RD for 9 years here), although for me, PA is a career change and was never part of my original plans, lol.  Good luck!

I would, but I would need a degree in dietetics, as my counselor told me ): I have explored this option and was quite confused as to why I wouldn't be able to be a dietitian with a nutrition degree, but hey I don't make the rules. 

5 minutes ago, DizzyJ said:

Would recommend doing an accelerated BSN over ADN program since you'll already have a degree.  Will take the same amount of time and then if you'll have the BSN already just in case you don't get into PA school and decide to go NP.  

Thanks! Also, money is a concern so I'd probably want to do whatever is cheapest if I can. I can always become an RN and then hopefully have an employer pay for my school if I don't end up going the PA route; I just want to make sure ADN would be acceptable for admissions. 

3 hours ago, NutriSci said:

I would, but I would need a degree in dietetics, as my counselor told me 😞 I have explored this option and was quite confused as to why I wouldn't be able to be a dietitian with a nutrition degree, but hey I don't make the rules. 

Find a different counselor, they sound confused.  My degree was in Nutritional Science as well.  Same thing as "Dietetics", just by a different name.  I think a dietetic internship would be less competitive to get into than a nursing program, so might be worth looking into.

5 hours ago, dukkulisur said:

Find a different counselor, they sound confused.  My degree was in Nutritional Science as well.  Same thing as "Dietetics", just by a different name.  I think a dietetic internship would be less competitive to get into than a nursing program, so might be worth looking into.

Well, I was trying to figure out on my own and I found this link: https://www.nutritioned.org/registered-dietitian-schools.html. I went to IU Bloomington(Indiana) and it seems ACEND only approves the dietetics degree? Maybe i'm interpreting it wrong, but it seems that a nutrition science degree is not accepted from Indiana University Bloomington.

27 minutes ago, NutriSci said:

Well, I was trying to figure out on my own and I found this link: https://www.nutritioned.org/registered-dietitian-schools.html. I went to IU Bloomington(Indiana) and it seems ACEND only approves the dietetics degree? Maybe i'm interpreting it wrong, but it seems that a nutrition science degree is not accepted from Indiana University Bloomington.

That's interesting, I didn't realize some schools make a distinction between the two.  Perhaps the nursing route is the way to go then.  Good luck!