PA/MPH Programs

Is anyone else applying to any of the dual degree PA/MPH programs this cycle? I've applied to emory, gwu, and yale's programs, and I was just curious if anyone has any opinion on whether or not that may help your chances of getting in, make it more difficult, or have no effect whatsoever. Just curious what everyone thinks!

Probably a smaller applicant pool for the dual programs but I don't know that for sure. if I had to go to pa school over again I would love to do a dual pa/mph program. loved my program but the dual degree would be very helpful for my future plans.

I would jump all over the chance to attend a dual MPH program; public health is awesome and it's also my undergrad major. If my gpa is over the 3.0 mark after this summer semester, then I will be being applying to the dual programs. If not, then I'll be waiting till next cycle. Because the programs are a little lengthier and require more work, they might receive less applicants but I could be way off...

Probably a smaller applicant pool for the dual programs but I don't know that for sure. if I had to go to pa school over again I would love to do a dual pa/mph program. loved my program but the dual degree would be very helpful for my future plans.

What are your future plans? I want a public health degree, but I never really understood what you can do with it.

also consider the pa/mph option at u.wa/medex. it isn't well advertised but they have one.

as far as why I want a public health/global health program: I want to do overseas work at some point and/or work for the state dept and an mph or dhsc really helps with this. also if I ever teach having a doctorate gets me further up the pay and seniority scale. I just finished the first yr in a dhsc program and have around 3 yrs to go.

also consider the pa/mph option at u.wa/medex. it isn't well advertised but they have one.

as far as why I want a public health/global health program: I want to do overseas work at some point and/or work for the state dept and an mph or dhsc really helps with this. also if I ever teach having a doctorate gets me further up the pay and seniority scale. I just finished the first yr in a dhsc program and have around 3 yrs to go.

EMEDPA, I'm interested in humanitarian aid work overseas & am earning my MSPAS/MPH degree... Why is a DHSC so helpful & do you have any recommendation for schools that would focus on Emergency medicine?

there are only 2 DHSc programs regularly attended by pa's; atsu and nova southeastern. neither has a "focus on emergency medicine" as these are academic, not clinical doctorates. I think nova probably has a better global health focus and atsu probably has a better leadership and education focus. both are "doctorate degrees in the health sciences" so either is fine to meet requirements to work at the cdc, work for the state dept, teach as a full professor, earn high rank in the military, etc etc

I am also interested in the dual MPH/PA programs but trying to decide if I should do a MPH program first then apply to a PA program. I am a returned Peace Corps Volunteer who majored in Nutrition and fluent in Spanish. I spent 3 years doing work in the Dominican Republic in the health field from building water systems, sanitation, to health classes and medical missions. I have done a lot of interpreting at medical missions and worked with some PA's during my service. I currently work as a Public Health Nutritionist with WIC. Would this be consider experience? I am most interested in global health. I am far from the application process. I still need to take GRE and take some pre-req classes for a PA program. To get in a MPH program all I need is GRE and apply. I am just trying to figure out what makes the most send for me before I start spending dollars taking pre-req classes. Peace Corps has some Fellows programs in MPH and I thought maybe getting my MPH first would set me up nicely for a PA program and possibly could get some classes covered and make me a more competitive applicant. I'd love any advice.

Archived