NCLEX-RN question

Would a PA-C be allowed to sit for the NCLEX-RN or is it required that someone attends nursing school to sit for the exam? I am applying to PA school right now and my far in the future career is to become a flight nurse. It is required that you complete 5-7 years in an emergency medicine or ICU setting before even thinking of applying to be a flight nurse. If I become a PA and work in emergency medicine or an ICU for a few years would I be able to challenge or sit for the NCLEX and be an RN to get a spot as a flight nurse? 

Edited by smith0000

Nope, you cannot challenge the NCLEX-RN as a PA-C the same reasons a NP cannot challenge the PANCE.

Also, the flight nurse requirements specifically ask for RN/NP experience in EM or ICU. So being a PA in EM or Critical Care won't fulfill that requirement.

A lot of flight RN positions go to those who also have their CCRN (Critical Care RN) certification and to get that, one must have 1750 hours as a RN/NP in the ER or ICU.

You becoming a PA and then pursuing flight RN sounds expensive and unnecessarily drawn out if you ask me. 

Edited by Diggy
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Some flight programs include paramedics. It is fairly easy for an EM or critical care PA to get a paramedic cert...

This course is also open to PAs. I called and asked a few years ago. Looks like they updated their app after my call. 

Licensure

You must be an RN, APRN, PA, MD or DO in good standing with current licensure. You are also required to have a minimum of two years of independent licensed critical care experience in your role as RN, APRN, PA, MD or DO.

What counts towards the two-year experience requirement?

This is an advance placement course intended to build upon at-least two years of experience as a clinician in acute care settings, such as intensive care units and emergency departments. Time spent as a student does not count towards the requirement. Prior EMS experience adds weight to your application, but it does not count towards this requirement either.

https://ems.creighton.edu/programs/ems-certificates/paramedic-certification-course-health-care-professionals

• Upvote 1

On 7/29/2020 at 9:54 PM, smith0000 said:

Would a PA-C be allowed to sit for the NCLEX-RN or is it required that someone attends nursing school to sit for the exam? I am applying to PA school right now and my far in the future career is to become a flight nurse. It is required that you complete 5-7 years in an emergency medicine or ICU setting before even thinking of applying to be a flight nurse. If I become a PA and work in emergency medicine or an ICU for a few years would I be able to challenge or sit for the NCLEX and be an RN to get a spot as a flight nurse? 

Seek out the programs that fly with providers.. Cincinnati is one, I’m sure there’s others..

You don’t want to go the nurse or medic route because you’ll be paid whatever the nurses or medics make at that program, which is about half of what you’d be making as a PA..

If your ultimate goal is to fly, then don't bother applying to PA school. Go to nursing school, work in the ICU (critical care experience is more useful than ED experience) for a few years and get the CCRN/CFRN as mentioned above. You'd probably be qualified for the job sooner, and with a fraction of the debt. 

As far as flying as a PA (or NP or MD for that matter), I think it's cool that we have the option because it's very clearly in the skillset of the typical CC PA. But I also think its total overkill 99.9% of the time. I did CC transport for a few years before PA school. The crew would be some combination of RN/RT/paramedic and I can't think of a single time that having a PA/NP/MD would have been better. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 5:50 AM, FiremedicMike said:

Seek out the programs that fly with providers.. Cincinnati is one, I’m sure there’s others..

You don’t want to go the nurse or medic route because you’ll be paid whatever the nurses or medics make at that program, which is about half of what you’d be making as a PA..

Aircare - Cincinnati's flight program uses NP's on a some of their crews, but also flies their EM residents.  The NP's I've seen fly are current/former paramedics who became nurses, then got jobs on flight crews.  I looked into this program - paid less that my old EM job, and way less than my current EM job.

Have you considered any of the fixed wing programs?  Those are longer flights.  You could see if there was more of a need for a provider vs the shorter helicopter trips.