Dish: what YOU want to see in PANCE/PANRE prep

Hello friends:

I have an opportunity to participate in a new project to come up with a new PANCE/PANRE review product. The originators of this project are very solidly involved in COMLEX prep and they are considering me as a contributor since I can bridge both worlds, so to speak :)

I am coming up on my 2nd PANRE this year, but I haven't had too much time to agonize over it with first year med school taking over my life. Now that I am safely on the other side of M1, I am enjoying summer rotations and thinking of what other trouble I can get into when school starts again in August.

So please, tell me all about it: what do YOU think is missing in the world of PANCE & PANRE prep?

Merci beaucoup,

Lisa

More meat and potatoes primary care stuff: anemia's, thyroid dz, management of elevated bp and cholesterol, management of minor office/urgent care procedural issues: abscesses, biopsies, suturing(what is the appropriate suture to use on a linear forehead lac? 3-0, 4-0, or 6-0? what is an ideal location to use staples for wound closure? scalp, dorsum of hand, anterior knee overlying patella?). what antibiotics cover mrsa? , etc

• Administrator

I really liked the Packrats' categorization of wrong answers into things that are suboptimal, irrelevant, or would harm the patient. The thing that made me most satisfied with my first Packrats score is that I'd only picked 1 "harm" answer out of the entire thing.

I like to learn by taking tests, with immediate feedback on what was right or wrong, with detailed explanations. I like ExamMaster's stuff... but there's some crazy stuff in there that won't (or at least... SHOULDN'T) ever be on the PANCE because it deals in such mindless minutiae. Along those lines, biasing things towards basics--the things we all need to have down, which themselves will be foundational to correctly answering the aforementioned off-the-wall questions--is a very good thing. I don't believe that the current products I'm using do a good job of focusing on more important questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump. Some thoughts I've had on this recently: 1. Mobile quiz app. I'm an Apple girl but I know there are loyal droid users also. Feedback please?

2. Heavy explanation on right & wrong answers in the style of USMLE First Aid. The COMQUEST qbank questions I have seen are set up this way...seems like a solid product.

3. I have no need for another review book and don't want to add to lectures already done well by other folks. I do think there is a need for more rigorous and more reliable, well-referenced, up-to-date qbank material.

Please feel free to tell me what you think. Looks like this project may get off the ground and I want it to be as useful as possible.

Thanks!

Lisa

Archived