What would you do?

So I just got a job offer as an EMT-Intermediate for a county ambulance service. However, the mandatory new employee training falls right in the middle of my summer school course for my last pre-requisite class for my top choice PA school (the only public PA school in my state). The lab for this course has a mandatory attendance policy so I get kicked out if I miss more than 2 days, and my mandatory employee orientation is 7 days. If I accept the job offer I’d have to push back applying to PA school for a year, considering everything (pre-reqs, HCE hours, etc.) has to be completed by Sept. 1st.

Would you put off applying for a year in order to accept the job? Or decline the job and take the summer course in order to apply in the fall. I have a little over the minimum number of hours now so I now more HCE would extremely helpful.

PROS for accepting the job:

I get more HCE hours/experience

I’d have more $$ to pay for school and help pay down my current UG loans

If I don’t get accepted the first time I apply to PA school, I’d have a full time job in b/w reapplying

CONS for accepting

I’d have to put off applying for another year

I'm 25 (still young I know) but sometimes I feel a rush to get started with a career since all of my friends are in their careers, getting married, etc.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? I have until Tuesday to accept or decline the job offer.

What are your other stats. Unless you are a shoe in, I'd say take the job because then at least you'll have a decent paying job and be getting more and better experience so that next year you WILL be a shoe in. You are 25, not married, no kids (I think).... One year is not going to matter at all.

What are your other stats. Unless you are a shoe in, I'd say take the job because then at least you'll have a decent paying job and be getting more and better experience so that next year you WILL be a shoe in. You are 25, not married, no kids (I think).... One year is not going to matter at all.

MY stats are: Cgpa: 3.23 science gpa. 3.2 grad school gpa 3.727

Undergrad degree in Kinesiology; Grad school degree in kinesiology (main focus obesity research)

HCE hours: 274 hours (includes shadowing, volunteering, EMT work, and doing health assessments at an obesity clinic)

I also have hours about 150 hours working with people that are just out physical therapy at a university gym. I’m not sure if this counts towards hours, but I do health assessments, blood pressure, stress test, and I do personal training.

I have research experience working in an obesity clinic, working in the kinesiology lab during graduate school and doing my own thesis.

I don’t have a lot of HCE hours, the public school in my state only requires 250 and I just barely surpass that.

I was in a similar situation where I had an interview to a PA school on the mandatory 3 day new hire orientation that was given once a month.

I spoke to the hiring manager about my situation and they were willing to push back my start date and orientation to the following month. If I were in your shoes I'd take the class and apply this year since it sounds like you are already working as an EMT and this is just an increase in salary. I would also explain your situation to the hiring manager and see if they'd be flexible stating you already paid and committed to the class.

The more HCE you have, the better it looks. Plus you are right about having more money before school starts. Take the job, then take the class this fall.

Of course, if you really, really want to get started, yeah, take the class... it's worth a try applying....but then if you don't get in, you will regret it if you can't find a better job this fall.

With your GPAs, I'd be taking the job and retaking any prereqs below a B.

Thats exactly what i've been doing for the past year. I've also been taking upper level courses above the required pre-reqs. unfortunately, I had one terrible year in undergrad (all C's and one D during sophomore year) so my GPA hardly ever moves no matter how many A's I get now. However, I do have an upward trend. I've made all As and Bs my last 2 years of undergrad and during my post bacc program so far.

I agree with the other poster about asking the new boss if they can push back the start date for the job. Explain to them that you're in college and the course is important to your education track. Also, talk to your professor... some of those "mandatory lab" classes are flexible under certain circumstances, like maybe coming in to lab on a different day when the same course work is offered to another class i.e.: if your regular lab is Tuesday/Friday, may be you can hit the lab when it's given to the Monday/Wednesday class.

I agree with the other poster about asking the new boss if they can push back the start date for the job. Explain to them that you're in college and the course is important to your education track. Also, talk to your professor... some of those "mandatory lab" classes are flexible under certain circumstances, like maybe coming in to lab on a different day when the same course work is offered to another class i.e.: if your regular lab is Tuesday/Friday, may be you can hit the lab when it's given to the Monday/Wednesday class.

I already spoke with my lab professor so if the staff training is only a half day he said I could attend the afternoon sessions during that training week instead of my Mon-Thurs 8-12pm lab. (labs are every day in summer school for microbiology). I’m going to call tomorrow to see when the training starts and to see if there is any wiggle room. I doubt there will be though because the chief brought this up during my interview. During the interview they mentioned the training start date and my class schedule being an issue. However, he also told me that job offers wouldn’t be made until July 15 so I told them class wouldn’t be an issue w/ training if they hired me, since my last week of summer school would have been the last week in July.

Also, I spoke with my professor and she agreed to let me sit in during the lectures if I have to end up dropping the course and taking the job. She teaches microbiology in the fall so at least this way I’d have a better chance of making an A in the course if I have to put off applying for a year, so thats a plus

Archived