Brand new ED tech

Hi! I'm an EMT and just got hired as an ED Tech at a level 1 trauma center (wooo!) and I'm looking for some tips from other techs, nurses, PAs, etc. about what makes a good tech. I have 1.5 years of prehospital experience and this is my first in-hospital job. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

A good tech is a life saver! Most nurses like myself are "do it yourself" meaning I won't go out of my way to ask for something to be done if it's clearly in one's scope. The same way I don't expect the providers I am working with that shift to going out of their way to "tell me to do something" 

Help with rounding on patients especially on busy days (which is every single day lol). Don't be afraid to "triage" the nurses requests. For example, if someone needs to go to imaging and another one needs a blanket/food... Bring the other patient to radiology.. A blanket can wait. If not, you're going to run yourself ragged. 

Don't be afraid to ask for help or be shown how to do something. It's better to sound clueless than to look clueless. Especially in front of patients. It's a quick way to lose credibility lol. 

Good luck! The ER is an amazing place to learn new skills and building upon current knowledge. 

• Like 1