Zoom Interview Tips

Hey all!

With COVID-19 being ever so present during this application cycle, it seems a lot of schools are holding interviews via Zoom or some other virtual format. Does anyone have any tips/advice for interviewing virtually? Pros and cons?

Just trying to prepare myself for this new normal. Thanks in advance!

Not having interviewed on Zoom, but having appointments on Zoom, here’s my advice:

-Prepare just as you would for an in-person interview. Expect a lot of scenario questions and vast topics-even ones that may not have anything to do with medicine. There are many websites and books with great tips and sample questions.

-Expect some streaming lag, so be prepared to not fidget during this awkward pause.

-Make sure all your tech stuff is working and have your laptop plugged in-many are shocked how much battery they need and meetings end abruptly.

-Make sure your background is clean/organized and noisy pets/phones are put away.

I know these may seem like no-brainer tips, but you’d be amazed what goes on over Zoom.

• Like 1

For each program I interviewed with, I was sent an informative email about 2-4 weeks prior that just gave general statements on what type of interview I was headed into: MMI, group, 1:1, panel, or combo. I could see each of these types still working on Zoom with some modifications.