Jump to content

Research and teaching as a PA

Recommended Posts


I am an undergrad student who is considering applying to PA school. I was wondering if it's possible for PAs to do research and/or teach, like MDs can? I have read that it is more common for PAs who also have PhDs to do research, than "just" PAs. Is there anyone here that is a PA that does research or knows PAs that do research and/or teach? 

Thank you in advance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most MDs with research labs are MD/PhDs, but certainly not all. Most research is performed by a PhD scientist. If you'd really like to pursue a career in research, consider a pathway which includes a PhD.

If you're still an undergrad, I recommend volunteering in a research lab on campus or a summer research program. Research isn't for everyone.

By teaching, what type of coursework? PA classes?  Or a science?  Science courses at university are generally taught by a PhD, sometimes a M.S. (especially at a community college). 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More