Advice on Overcoming Vasovagal Syncope

Just for your enjoyment I suggest that you watch the series Doc Martin from the BBC (aired on most public TV stations). He is a surgeon who has the exact same problem (vasovagal with the sight of blood). He left surgery and became a country doctor in a beautiful coastal village because of it. He finally over came his passing out through gradual exposure (holding units of blood in his hand, seeing cuts and abrasions, listening to tapes). He would have returned to London to resume his career as a surgeon, but . . . he has complicated entanglements in the village (including a son born to him with a local teacher). It is the only medical show I watch and it is very funny (British humor I must warn) and he is cranky and says to patients the things you only dream you could say.

Just for your enjoyment I suggest that you watch the series Doc Martin from the BBC (aired on most public TV stations). He is a surgeon who has the exact same problem (vasovagal with the sight of blood). He left surgery and became a country doctor in a beautiful coastal village because of it. He finally over came his passing out through gradual exposure (holding units of blood in his hand, seeing cuts and abrasions, listening to tapes). He would have returned to London to resume his career as a surgeon, but . . . he has complicated entanglements in the village (including a son born to him with a local teacher). It is the only medical show I watch and it is very funny (British humor I must warn) and he is cranky and says to patients the things you only dream you could say.

I have been in health care for 19 years and there is still one thing that turns my stomach, sputum. Especially if it is from a trach. Oh he*l no, can't even think about. I call it lung butter. That said, if a patient needs their trach suctioned, I do it without hesitation. Then gag out of sight.

I had a freind of mine that puked their brains out when ever they had to fly on a helo. Pretty bad when our occupation is flight paramedic. Interestingly, as soon as there was a patient in front of him, it stopped. Off load the patient and fly home....it would start all over. Poor guy, great medic though. The "dude you're in the Air Force" jibes never lost there amusement.

The point is, throw yourself into what is happening. Take it personal....you don't perform.....you fail yourself and the patient. Engross yourself in the process and the importance of what you are doing and you will find yourself less grossed out by what is happening....see what I did there with words! :;;D:

You will get over it.

I have been in health care for 19 years and there is still one thing that turns my stomach, sputum. Especially if it is from a trach. Oh he*l no, can't even think about. I call it lung butter. That said, if a patient needs their trach suctioned, I do it without hesitation. Then gag out of sight.

I had a freind of mine that puked their brains out when ever they had to fly on a helo. Pretty bad when our occupation is flight paramedic. Interestingly, as soon as there was a patient in front of him, it stopped. Off load the patient and fly home....it would start all over. Poor guy, great medic though. The "dude you're in the Air Force" jibes never lost there amusement.

The point is, throw yourself into what is happening. Take it personal....you don't perform.....you fail yourself and the patient. Engross yourself in the process and the importance of what you are doing and you will find yourself less grossed out by what is happening....see what I did there with words! :;;D:

You will get over it.

I was an EMT in the urban DC area and thought I was totally good to go - GI blood smell, compact fractures, evisceration, no problem.. I did a formal shadowing program and was SO EXCITED the first time I got to see a neurosurgery (I love learning about the brain and am really interested in exploring neuro in the future).

Within about 10 seconds of hearing the bone saw and smelling that burning flesh smell, I thought I was going to hit the floor. I had to leave and run into the locker room. I was so disappointed in myself - thought my PA career was over before it started!! I took a good 5 minutes and just tried to breathe and relax, which luckily worked well enough that I could go back in and stay for the remainder.

Just wanted to share another similar tale. My 2 cents is to continue to psych yourself up (lots of positive self talk) and also, take a breath mint before putting on a surgical mask - the minty smell helped me stay calm. :smile:

I was an EMT in the urban DC area and thought I was totally good to go - GI blood smell, compact fractures, evisceration, no problem.. I did a formal shadowing program and was SO EXCITED the first time I got to see a neurosurgery (I love learning about the brain and am really interested in exploring neuro in the future).

Within about 10 seconds of hearing the bone saw and smelling that burning flesh smell, I thought I was going to hit the floor. I had to leave and run into the locker room. I was so disappointed in myself - thought my PA career was over before it started!! I took a good 5 minutes and just tried to breathe and relax, which luckily worked well enough that I could go back in and stay for the remainder.

Just wanted to share another similar tale. My 2 cents is to continue to psych yourself up (lots of positive self talk) and also, take a breath mint before putting on a surgical mask - the minty smell helped me stay calm. :smile:

I can't stand LPs (lumbar punctures). I've had several personally, and it just gives me this wretched feeling every time I watch one. It is a vasovagal reaction - I started getting tunnel vision, felt overheated...I had to lean against a wall and breathe to assist our ED doc with one. I force myself to watch now.

I'm not a fan of teeth, either.

One nurse I worked with was a combat veteran. He'd seen all sorts of stuff and was a great nurse, but the sound of crepitation would send him running. He HATED it. One of our docs hated all things eye-related.

As for smells, do not underestimate the power of Vick's Vapor Rub. Carry a jar with you, and put a tiny bit under your nose if you smell something awful. You won't smell anything else for a while. :)

I can't stand LPs (lumbar punctures). I've had several personally, and it just gives me this wretched feeling every time I watch one. It is a vasovagal reaction - I started getting tunnel vision, felt overheated...I had to lean against a wall and breathe to assist our ED doc with one. I force myself to watch now.

I'm not a fan of teeth, either.

One nurse I worked with was a combat veteran. He'd seen all sorts of stuff and was a great nurse, but the sound of crepitation would send him running. He HATED it. One of our docs hated all things eye-related.

As for smells, do not underestimate the power of Vick's Vapor Rub. Carry a jar with you, and put a tiny bit under your nose if you smell something awful. You won't smell anything else for a while. :)

• 9 months later...

Just bumping this to say thanks to everyone- all these stories make me feel so much better. I have been shadowing a PA in critical care and I've had a vasovagal "episode" both days I've been in so far. It's frustrating, because I've had this issue for awhile now with having blood drawn (I thought the 3-hour GTT when I was pregnant would cure me through sheer overexposure, but no dice) and I thought it was just that. I think the first day was triggered by low blood sugar + standing for 2+ hours during teaching rounds, but the second day was a mystery. It happened while observing a lumbar puncture and I wasn't even feeling remotely grossed out- I think maybe I was locking my knees. Anyway, I guess it's just something you deal with through exposure, but it's reassuring to know that seasoned PAs and MDs still have their "things".

For me as a student it was full nail removals (watching). Never near syncopal but they just gave me the jeebee's. After doing one, bring them on (now they take the fun out of them with minimal, partial excisions). Poop, catching emesis in the ED standing next to the pt. with the inherent smell never bothered me.

Archived