How can I overcome Vasovagol?

I have a fair amount of time before I would even be able to start college and even longer medical school, however I really want to be an anesthesiologist and today in my science class (we’re currently doing sex Ed) we were watching a video about birth in general and there was a section about birth defects and clef pallets and without warning they showed us phootage of someone correcting a clef lip. Now I’ve had expieriences like this before but it had been a while and never this bad. I tried to force myself to watch the video because I knew one day if I wanted to be an anesthesiologist I would have to overcome this however I forgot that I could faint and I felt sick so I stood up tried to walk and ask me teacher to go to the nurse I ran into her desk and a friend helped me out into the hall were based on what he told me I crumpled to my knees and banged my chin. I was wondering how I could get over this or if it is even possible. I know I made a bunch of mistakes and I should have stayed sitting or lied down and put my head between my knees but is there anyway I can train myself so I don’t have such a dramat8c response or maybe eventually a response at all? Thanks

As is the case with many medical practitioners and especially ER and EMS, they become desensitized to trauma through chronic exposure (myself included), aka "habituation." Slow gradual exposure over time should do the trick. If not then you should consult a medical professional (in real life, not a forum).

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/vasovagal-syncope/symptoms-causes/syc-20350527

• 2 weeks later...

1. Recognize that you are at risk for vasovagal-syncope so act accordingly.

2. Recognize the symptoms when they start to come - change in senses (vision, I have experienced changes in sound perception when this was a problem for me), dizziness, nausea, etc.

3. Sit your buns down if you even think you are going to see anything that could cause this reaction in you - falling and suffering head trauma is real bad, mmmkay? 

4. Exposure therapy might be a good route but it would be prudent to consult (since you want to be a medical professional, learn how to consult experts now by doing so) a professional counselor/therapist/psychologist who has experience with exposure therapy or similar treatment regarding the issue. Go to psychology today website to find such a person as well as probably talk to your parents or guardian about doing so.  You also don't want to traumatize yourself looking at gore or compound anxiety with the fact that you are trying to overcome something that causes you stress. Also, you don't have to perform surgery tomorrow morning (overcoming your reaction to this isn't something you have to do overnight), so relax a bit.

5. Talk to the teacher and principal to make sure they know that showing this type of material is very important to teach but students reacting this way is a risk so there needs to be a warning and instruction to students on what to do if they start to feel weird so they don't try to get up and end up getting hurt. Learn the lesson on how to ensure mistakes don't happen twice and get the practice of coaching-up others (you will have to do this as a medical professional, too).

Even after 20 years of working in the medical field (combat medic and then civilian EMT with 911, working in large inner city ERs) I still feel sick watching anything gory on tv, or when people tell "war stories" in the lunch room. But when I've got my hands in it (for lack of a better term), it doesn't phase me. Except chest tube placement. I don't care, I have to hold a wall, sit down or beg to leave. 

Like John76 mentioned, be aware of the warning signs. You will find as you are exposed to more and more, the less of a trigger it will be. 

• 2 months later...

Archived