Restarting Clinical Rotations

Our program kinda gave us the option to keep going if we felt comfortable. I will finish rotations next week and graduate on time still(no ceremony though obviously). People who were pulled from rotations will restart at the beginning of the upcoming month and graduate at the end of next month

That’s really awful you’ll be out for that long. They officially cancelled our white coat ceremony yesterday which is sad. I think our school really wanted us to just continue since we were so close to being done anyways and students were begging to keep going since most of us have jobs already

On 4/16/2020 at 12:45 PM, MaryFred said:

I can't figure out how they plan to keep us out 5 months and plan to have us graduate on time. I'm curious to know what other schools are doing.

Do you mean to say there is a 5 month hiatus before clinicals start again? What are students doing in the meantime? I too wonder what other programs are doing. it's really varied with a lot waiting to make decisions, I think.

Our school removed us from rotations and we're currently doing an online course in hopes of fulfilling some competencies. This of course will not make up for any rotations. We are projected to miss two, 6-week rotations and restart on June 22nd. There's a chance that will get extended as well. I'm surprised to hear that some schools continued to let students work. I know many of us would have preferred that as well. 

On 4/16/2020 at 5:54 AM, Bf555 said:

Our program kinda gave us the option to keep going if we felt comfortable. I will finish rotations next week and graduate on time still(no ceremony though obviously). People who were pulled from rotations will restart at the beginning of the upcoming month and graduate at the end of next month

Bf555, I'm happy for you that you are able to stay on track!  I had thought that the decision to remove PA students came from the ARC-P and was backed by our universities. However, it there are students still allowed to be on rotations, this makes me think the decision can be made by the university independently. This is hopeful for those of us who are eager to return to rotations.  Good luck w/ the rest of your rotation!

I think the decision to keep us in rotations was because we are so close to being done. We essentially had 6 weeks left of clinicals. With most of us already having jobs, it would hinder us quite a bit to be pulled for that long. If you were early in rotations, I can understand because the amount of learning that is occurring right now isn’t quite as much as there was before covid. Plus your exposure would be prolonged

I think people should mention where they are in the country. As the situation is very different in N Dakota vs. NY. 

Meanwhile, nursing and medical programs are graduating their students early. PA leadership failing once again. 

"Nursing students would be employed by the facility on a full- or part-time basis and would work in the role of a student nurse for compensation and, in conjunction with the student’s nursing education program, would receive academic credit toward meeting clinical requirements."

https://www.aacnnursing.org/Portals/42/Policy/Policy-Brief-US-Nursing-Workforce-COVID-19.pdf