In Progress/Planned Courses

Hello, first time applicant here and I just had some questions in regards to having In Progress/Planned courses for required prerequisites:

I've been communicating with a few PA schools and it turns out they are not accepting my writing courses from college for the English composition requirement, which means that I would have to take extra courses during the summer (starting in June). However, I am planning on submitting my application sometime in mid May, especially for the programs that are rolling. I know that I can list these courses as IP/planned, but my question is how the verification process would work for this. Would I need to get re-verified after I have completed the courses? Would I have to send an updated transcript to CASPA once they are completed and would I have to pay a second fee? If I don't enroll in the course until late May, can I possibly have those required prerequisites omitted for now, submit my CASPA, get it verified, and then update it once I do enroll? Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• Like 1

From my experience, schools who feel the need to verify that these courses were completed will do so independently of CASPA. Your application should be able to be processed and verified, but the schools may ask for an updated transcript upon interview or even after.

For example - I was accepted to Rosalind Franklin last year. AFTER I had already been accepted, I had to send in a course syllabus to see if it met the requirement for psychology. Thankfully it did, but if it had not I would have had to retake it by the time I matriculated. 

• Like 1

You need to input all of the classes into CASPA that you plan to take as IP. If you are having to take different English classes to meet a school’s prerequisites and they don’t see that you are planning on taking them, they will toss your application. 

CASPA will verify your application only once; so your gpa is also calculated only once. So, those IP classes will not be considered for your gpa calculation.

So if you submit your application and get it verified with IP classes listed, you will need to then go back into CASPA after you take those classes and update your grade  and change their status from IP to Completed. And then send a new transcript to CASPA. 

So, those new grades will not be verified, but schools can now see that you have completed them and what your letter grade is. 

Edited by Janie55
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 3:06 PM, Janie55 said:

You need to input all of the classes into CASPA that you plan to take as IP. If you are having to take different English classes to meet a school’s prerequisites and they don’t see that you are planning on taking them, they will toss your application. 

CASPA will verify your application only once; so your gpa is also calculated only once. So, those IP classes will not be considered for your gpa calculation.

So if you submit your application and get it verified with IP classes listed, you will need to then go back into CASPA after you take those classes and update your grade  and change their status from IP to Completed. And then send a new transcript to CASPA. 

So, those new grades will not be verified, but schools can now see that you have completed them and what your letter grade is. 

Ok thank you so much for helping me out! So would I send the transcript to both CASPA AND the PA program that requires it as a prerequisite, or is sending to just CASPA ok?

On 4/2/2020 at 3:06 PM, Janie55 said:

Thank you for your response! Also I am assuming when I first request for my transcript that I am only sending it to CASPA and not the individual programs I am applying to unless their website states otherwise?

Send the transcript to CASPA and then to the schools that want one directly. If you are unsure, look on their website-most schools have this clearly stated. If still unsure, call the school directly. 

Once you get interviews it is a good idea to bring copies of all your transcripts with you too. 

Just remember to go back into CASPA and change the IP status to completed with your grade—it’s easy to forget to do this in several months.

Edited by Janie55
  • Like 1

Ok got it! So when I send the original transcript in, it won't need to include the IP courses, but I will have to include on the CASPA app itself? Also with the cycle opening on 4/30 I was wondering about the earliest I can send my transcripts in? People have been saying not to send it in right since the past cycle doesn't open until 4/8 whereas others are saying that it is ok to send those transcripts in right now. Does the same also apply to the GRE? TIA

Yes-send in your completed transcript to CASPA. Input the classes that are IP in the CASPA application. Then resubmit another transcript to CASPA when your IP classes are done. 

Personally, I would submit my request to my school to send my transcript to CASPA on or just after the cycle opens. I think you have to make a CASPA account to get the transcript form to give to your school. Then there is no chance for any weird mixups. It will take a few days to get this accomplished — school to CASPA completed. 

It will take you several days to get your CASPA application completed. I think I got all my stuff done including individual school applications within 3-4 weeks ( I was still working and in school at the time).

Im not sure about the GRE.