Should I take the GRE? Why?

Hi there!

I am currently taking A&P 3 (last one) and patho and was planning to also study the GRE. As I have my GRE study material and am on day 4 of studying I'm sort of wondering why I am doing this, haha. I don't mind putting in the time but every time that I pick up the GRE material instead of diving greater into additional videos on cancer or the immune system in patho and A&P, I wonder why this test? I have seen that PA schools are working on creating another admissions test which points me into thinking they also see how the GRE is lacking? I would think my ability to pass pre-reqs would give a better indication?

Background:

-26 yrs old, postbacc original degree in Economics. Live in Portland, OR.

-3.79 GPA currently,  4.0 in postbacc prerequisites: Gen chem, Bio, A&P, micro, genetics, pharmacology, etc 

-Took up to calc 3 and got all As

-B's I got in college were in my economic courses I obviously didn't care about: labor economics is a bore compared to my love for health economics.

-50 hours shadowing, no paid patient care. Plan to take the next year working full time for patient care hours, but still will only likely have maybe 2,000? Not great I know.

I plan to apply to a lot of schools, I have no problem leaving the state and have no restrictions on where I would apply.

So give it to me straight: should I suck it up and study for the GRE or does it make sense to focus on other things and limit myself to schools that do not require the GRE?

Thank you!

I avoided the gre like the plaque we're in and it took me multiple cycles to get into PA school. Schools that do not require the GRE usually have at least 1500-4000 applicants for a class of 18-48 students- they only pick about 100 to 160 of the top students to interview for those seats so the more you have the more favorable this process is toward you. so by taking the gre you open up more doors to more schools. The more requirements a school has the less people apply and you increase your chances of acceptance. Yeah some of the words on that GRE exam are ridiculous but hang in there you'll be aiiiight.

Edited by hustleforthePAC
Added more