New Grad Per Diem gig

I am currently working in Urgent Care for ~2 months since graduation. I'm starting to see that it's a lot of cold, flu, ankle sprains, allergies, asthma, and the ocassional chest pain. However, I've recently been approached for a Per Diem General Surgery position. It's for late night and weekend shifts with a mix of OR time, floor work, and ED consults. $70/hour, $50/hour when on-call, and an hour and 15 minute commute from my house. I know the hours are not ideal and the pay isn't the greatest for COL in NYC, but I think it'll be a good hands-on experience.... except it's been >1year since my surgery rotation outta school. 

Wondering what are y'all thoughts on fairly still new grads taking on per diem gigs. Should I stick to full/part time jobs that let me learn more consistently?

Appreciate any feedback!

I this was offered to you in the recent weeks or months I would hold off.  Pretty much across the country all non-emergent surgeries are on hold, therefore I doubt you would have much to do.  But, for the experience could be a decent opportunity if you are wanting to be in surgery.  Pay is low, especially depending on the benefits.

9 minutes ago, mgriffiths said:

I this was offered to you in the recent weeks or months I would hold off.  Pretty much across the country all non-emergent surgeries are on hold, therefore I doubt you would have much to do.  But, for the experience could be a decent opportunity if you are wanting to be in surgery.  Pay is low, especially depending on the benefits.

No benes actually, just the straight hourly pay. 

Trying to get into EMED but having no luck as a new grad. I was thinking a surgical position would open more doors, plus wanted to do more than just minor emergencies/illnesses. 

Offer just last week. Crazy stuff happening but kinds hoping it would fizzle down by the time I'm credentialed in the hospital (or maybe I'm just being delusional thinking that, knowing it hasn't even peaked yet)...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pineapplesinhawaii said:

No benes actually

Then I would say the pay is rubbish for regular pay, but this is per diem WITHOUT benes AND is OFF HOURS.  I would not take less than $100 per hour, and maybe not even that.  I also don't know how well having surgical background would help with EMED, unless this is a hospital you would want to potentially work at.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pineapplesinhawaii said:

I am currently working in Urgent Care for ~2 months since graduation. I'm starting to see that it's a lot of cold, flu, ankle sprains, allergies, asthma, and the ocassional chest pain. However, I've recently been approached for a Per Diem General Surgery position. It's for late night and weekend shifts with a mix of OR time, floor work, and ED consults. $70/hour, $50/hour when on-call, and an hour and 15 minute commute from my house. I know the hours are not ideal and the pay isn't the greatest for COL in NYC, but I think it'll be a good hands-on experience.... except it's been >1year since my surgery rotation outta school. 

Wondering what are y'all thoughts on fairly still new grads taking on per diem gigs. Should I stick to full/part time jobs that let me learn more consistently?

Appreciate any feedback!

I think it might be great experience for you. Gives you some insight into acute abdomens and ED consults which can help with networking with ED personnel. The pay isn't great for a non-benefit, after/late hours position but the experience and networking experience might be worth it. 

• Upvote 2