Humor in the Professionalism

We have a visiting movement disorder doc every quarter. She is extremely professional. She is a thin, young (mid 30s) Asian lady who is extremely bright and respected. I will call her MD-(for movement disorders) Doc.

I referred a patient to her, whom I follow for headaches. This patient, whom I will call Beth, has been dx with a variety of movement disorders over the years and is on several Parkinson drugs. I became very suspicious of Beth's movement disorder (she moved like the Washington Redskins Cheerleader . . . look it up on youtube) and thought that she should not be on those drugs if she really didn't have an organic movement disorder (psychogenic in other words).

So Beth was down the hall seeing MD-doc. I heard them come out in the hall. MD-doc looking very professional with a clipboard and a long lab coat.

MD-doc; "So Beth, let me see you walk down the hall."

Beth comes out of the room with a walker (she usually doesn't use a walker when she sees me for headaches). Beth started down the hall moving crazy, bouncing off the walls, jerking, while MD-doc says nothing.

Beth turns it up a notch. Still no comments from MD-doc.

Beth is now about 15 feet away from MD-doc, coming in my direction. Then she goes into a slow motion somersault (with her walker in tow). Still MD-doc says nothing but continues writing on her clip board. Beth, now laying flat on the floor with her walker on top of her, rolls her eyes up to look at MD-doc like she was expecting her to come running down the hall screaming OMG! And then helping her up. But it never happened . . . MD-doc never made a sound.

Beth struggled to get up on her feet like a new born calf . . . still no comments. Finally she get's up, turns around and walks with a little less drama back towards MD-doc.

MD-doc: "Thank you. Now let's go back into the exam room."

You had to have been there.

you can't end a story like that...what did MD-doc say about the appt?

She came down and talked to me about her. No organic movement disorder. She felt like the only way to address these situations is to 1) never tell the patient they are faking them, 2) keep the conversation focused on past emotional trauma, 3) Gently get her off the Parkinson drugs and 4) Get her to see Psych. who specializes in PTSD.

Archived