Online Prerequisite at Doane University

Has anyone taken more than one course at a time through Doane University while working full time? I need to take Organic Chem and Biochemistry to apply for a PA program this year but don’t have a lot of time.
Also, how strict are the professors with due dates? I don’t have time to do much during the week since I work full time, but I am planing to do all the homework and studying during the weekends. 

Hi @Dayker

I did not take OChem through Doane, but this past session I took both Biochem and A&P II while working full time. 

I imagine OChem is similar in terms of workload, I'll allow someone else to speak specifically to the OChem course.

It is a lot of work. There are 1-2 assignments due every night of the week for each class. Some assignments are quick, taking less than 30 minutes, others are more involved, taking upwards of an hour or two. Expect to work on assignments every day, or, if you have the time, get a good chunk of them out of the way on a free Sunday. As others in this forum have shared, it's not impossible, but definitely takes a good work ethic. 

If you'd like, I can send you the course syllabi to get an idea of a typical week schedule. 

On 3/3/2020 at 9:46 PM, JDraper said:

Hi @Dayker

I did not take OChem through Doane, but this past session I took both Biochem and A&P II while working full time. 

I imagine OChem is similar in terms of workload, I'll allow someone else to speak specifically to the OChem course.

It is a lot of work. There are 1-2 assignments due every night of the week for each class. Some assignments are quick, taking less than 30 minutes, others are more involved, taking upwards of an hour or two. Expect to work on assignments every day, or, if you have the time, get a good chunk of them out of the way on a free Sunday. As others in this forum have shared, it's not impossible, but definitely takes a good work ethic. 

If you'd like, I can send you the course syllabi to get an idea of a typical week schedule. 

@JDraper,

thank you so much for answering this for me. This really gives me peace of mind.

I usually have Friday, Saturday and Sundays off. Do you think I can knock out all the homework for the following week during these 3 days?

21 hours ago, Dayker said:

@JDraper,

thank you so much for answering this for me. This really gives me peace of mind.

I usually have Friday, Saturday and Sundays off. Do you think I can knock out all the homework for the following week during these 3 days?

Definitely! Module schedules are usually Monday - Sunday, with the next module assignments being made available on Friday/Saturday. You'll get a feel for how the schedule goes. Each week you will have the same assignments due on the same weekday, just covering the different topics. 

Just be ready to read a lot! There are also small groups/discussion participation that you'll probably have to do during the week. 

10 hours ago, JDraper said:

Definitely! Module schedules are usually Monday - Sunday, with the next module assignments being made available on Friday/Saturday. You'll get a feel for how the schedule goes. Each week you will have the same assignments due on the same weekday, just covering the different topics. 

Just be ready to read a lot! There are also small groups/discussion participation that you'll probably have to do during the week. 

@JDraper

Thank again for all the valuable info. I wish you the best of luck! Are you also applying for PA school this year?

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me please what chapters are covered in Doane University's

• CHEM 126 (General Chemistry II) course?
    • and/or
  • CHEM 205 (Organic Chemistry I) course? 

I would like to use the weeks in-between the terms to read ahead and familiarize myself with the concepts that will be covered. 

I am assuming that CHEM 126 uses the Chemistry textbook by Burdge (ISBN 9781259716188), and CHEM 205 uses the Organic Chemistry textbook by Carey and Giuliano (ISBN 9781259718908).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2020 at 8:54 PM, Tbrock94 said:

Does anyone know if these credits transfer to regionally accredited universities and do they transfer to the Yale online PA program fine?

Thanks in advance

I recommend contacting the school and getting it in writing, to be on the safe side.  I teach online chemistry and physics courses and I have never encountered a situation where my courses did not transfer.  In the rare event that my courses did not transfer, I potentially have some administrative channels that I can go through to resolve the situation.  

On 3/5/2020 at 3:54 PM, Sergio152 said:

How are the exams and are they proctored through a webcam?

OCHEM1 -They did proctor my exams through a webcam this last semester. It was like a lockdown browser where you couldnt look stuff up anything online, they listen to audio and video you. The exam was pretty straightfoward though if you studied all of the material and are capable of doing multi-step synthesis questions. Overall the class is super hard online and I recommend just taking it in person somewhere. 

1 minute ago, ALexDude13 said:

OCHEM1 -They did proctor my exams through a webcam this last semester. It was like a lockdown browser where you couldnt look stuff up anything online, they listen to audio and video you. The exam was pretty straightfoward though if you studied all of the material and are capable of doing multi-step synthesis questions. Overall the class is super hard online and I recommend just taking it in person somewhere. 

I use a different approach for my online organic chemistry courses.  

For my tests/quizzes/final, I do not use the Respondus LockDown browser or similar tools such as HonorLock.  My courses are focused on understanding and you have multiple chances to get the answers correct.  I want my students to look things up in the textbook (and to collaborate with others) while working out the tests/quizzes/final.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ALexDude13 said:

You took this Organic Chemistry at Doane? When did you take it?

• 2 months later...

I'm finishing Histology through Doane.  This is week 8.  I also took General Biology I at another college simultaneously.  I start BIOL 355- Anatomy and BIOL 126- Biology II at Doane starting next month.  I thought Histology was do-able. It wasn't too difficult but not easy at all.  The class included frequent interactions with other students and "filming" yourself quite a bit. The PA programs I'm applying to accept online courses including Labs as long as they're from a Regionally Accredited Institution.  Doane is regionally accredited.

Has anyone taken 3 classes at a time while working full time?  Just Curious. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, JuliaC said:

I'm finishing Histology through Doane.  This is week 8.  I also took General Biology I at another college simultaneously.  I start BIOL 355- Anatomy and BIOL 126- Biology II at Doane starting next month.  I thought Histology was do-able. It wasn't too difficult but not easy at all.  The class included frequent interactions with other students and "filming" yourself quite a bit. The PA programs I'm applying to accept online courses including Labs as long as they're from a Regionally Accredited Institution.  Doane is regionally accredited.

Has anyone taken 3 classes at a time while working full time?  Just Curious. Thanks!

I caution students against taking 3 classes while working full time, unless special arrangements are made.  I want to avoid overloading students since it can lead to early burnout.  That is my advice.  

Jeff  

4 minutes ago, ChemPhysicsInstructor said:

I caution students against taking 3 classes while working full time, unless special arrangements are made.  I want to avoid overloading students since it can lead to early burnout.  That is my advice.  

Jeff  

Thank you!  I appreciate the input. 🙂

On 4/11/2020 at 6:54 PM, Tbrock94 said:

Does anyone know if these credits transfer to regionally accredited universities and do they transfer to the Yale online PA program fine?

Thanks in advance

Yes. Doane is a regionally accredited institution and credits should transfer no problem.  It really depends on the specific PA program's policies (whether they accept online courses or not).  A lot of programs do accept online courses.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I couldn’t find any info on this, sorry if it was stated somewhere. But for Doane classes, is it all self study, like uploaded lectures or are there scheduled lecture times? I’m looking into the Human Physiology class and it says there’s a lab component too. Like would I need to put aside an hour on M-T and not work this days to attend or could I work 9-5 or night shifts all week? 

• 4 weeks later...