Running for class office/ class president?

Hi all, can anyone speak to the pros/ cons of running for class president while in PA school? I hadn't realized that was an option until out program liaison sent out an email saying "this is the 2013 class president..." and it got me thinking.

My initial reaction was that it seemed like there are lots of things to worry about in PA school without adding that to your plate, but is it an advantage when looking for jobs, networking, etc? What are the main roles and responsibilities of a class president at a grad school level? Thanks!

Hi all, can anyone speak to the pros/ cons of running for class president while in PA school? I hadn't realized that was an option until out program liaison sent out an email saying "this is the 2013 class president..." and it got me thinking.

My initial reaction was that it seemed like there are lots of things to worry about in PA school without adding that to your plate, but is it an advantage when looking for jobs, networking, etc? What are the main roles and responsibilities of a class president at a grad school level? Thanks!

ohh ouch - so quick to zing! : ) Of course that's true - I've held lots of leadership positions in the past (class president in high school, president of this and that club in college, organizing director of 3 non-profit organizations before I left to do my pre-reqs) so I'm confident that I could bring quite a bit to the position. My question was in regards to what are the duties and responsibilities at this level, and if it was worth the time commitment considering that I imagine studying takes up most of your free time while in school.

ohh ouch - so quick to zing! : ) Of course that's true - I've held lots of leadership positions in the past (class president in high school, president of this and that club in college, organizing director of 3 non-profit organizations before I left to do my pre-reqs) so I'm confident that I could bring quite a bit to the position. My question was in regards to what are the duties and responsibilities at this level, and if it was worth the time commitment considering that I imagine studying takes up most of your free time while in school.

My advisor and program director mentioned this to me recently as well that they would like me to consider running for the class president position at the end of this semester. Our class is 95% comprised of 22 year old female's that were all in the top 10% of their undergrad classes and I'm a 35 year old ex hospital and multi-specialty clinic VP of operations and CIO with a wife and 2 kids (i.e. not a ton of time to spare).

I know that he is looking at my past leadership roles and what that might bring to program, but I know some of those 22 year olds have tenacious ego's (I hear them behind me in lectures battling for position of "ad hoc" social organizer for the class i.e. assigning themes to the weekend parties they are coordinating while I'm at home studying for 10 hours a day to stay caught up with all of them) - like this is an extension of their undergrad sorority)

I'm torn because I have the experience to fill that role, I just don't know if the "post graduation" benefits are worth the hit I might take to family time/focus on study.

JD

My advisor and program director mentioned this to me recently as well that they would like me to consider running for the class president position at the end of this semester. Our class is 95% comprised of 22 year old female's that were all in the top 10% of their undergrad classes and I'm a 35 year old ex hospital and multi-specialty clinic VP of operations and CIO with a wife and 2 kids (i.e. not a ton of time to spare).

I know that he is looking at my past leadership roles and what that might bring to program, but I know some of those 22 year olds have tenacious ego's (I hear them behind me in lectures battling for position of "ad hoc" social organizer for the class i.e. assigning themes to the weekend parties they are coordinating while I'm at home studying for 10 hours a day to stay caught up with all of them) - like this is an extension of their undergrad sorority)

I'm torn because I have the experience to fill that role, I just don't know if the "post graduation" benefits are worth the hit I might take to family time/focus on study.

JD

JD

Why not shoot for a spot on the student caucus of the AAPA and sit on the delegate floor, voting on policy at the annual conference? President of a class...we had a president... not really sure he affected the class, the profession, or any events at all. Not really sure what the president's role is. Social director though... those folks had clout. With one announcement they could boost the revenue for any establishment in the greater area. One flyer and suddenly there are 40 thirsty, hungry Party Animals sitting at their tables. Figure 15 bucks a person, that's 600 bucks in revenue BEFORE tip.

In all seriousness...I am of the opinion that I need to put down that i was class president in order to land a good job then I really dropped the ball.

Why not shoot for a spot on the student caucus of the AAPA and sit on the delegate floor, voting on policy at the annual conference? President of a class...we had a president... not really sure he affected the class, the profession, or any events at all. Not really sure what the president's role is. Social director though... those folks had clout. With one announcement they could boost the revenue for any establishment in the greater area. One flyer and suddenly there are 40 thirsty, hungry Party Animals sitting at their tables. Figure 15 bucks a person, that's 600 bucks in revenue BEFORE tip.

In all seriousness...I am of the opinion that I need to put down that i was class president in order to land a good job then I really dropped the ball.

I'm currently class pres and I actually don't find it to be so ovewhelming. PA school is HARD, and I debated running because it does add committment and such. But ultimately, I have strong leadership skills, and it's easy for me to organize things to bring the class together. Also, ideally the president has the opportunity to delegate things, so I'm never working on anything single-handedly. The other officers help SO much with everything that goes on. We meet a couple times a month to plan stuff, but mostly I'm the voice for the class to the faculty (so I go to the staff meetings), and a liason there... If you have good officers, it will be a rewarding experience. As for job feasabiity, I think it will help, and it would most definitely help if you wanted to do some sort of specialty residency, but ultimately it looks like you have strong leadership, organization, and people-skills. It should be used, in my opinion, as an example of the qualities the rest of your CV or resume should reflect :)

I'm currently class pres and I actually don't find it to be so ovewhelming. PA school is HARD, and I debated running because it does add committment and such. But ultimately, I have strong leadership skills, and it's easy for me to organize things to bring the class together. Also, ideally the president has the opportunity to delegate things, so I'm never working on anything single-handedly. The other officers help SO much with everything that goes on. We meet a couple times a month to plan stuff, but mostly I'm the voice for the class to the faculty (so I go to the staff meetings), and a liason there... If you have good officers, it will be a rewarding experience. As for job feasabiity, I think it will help, and it would most definitely help if you wanted to do some sort of specialty residency, but ultimately it looks like you have strong leadership, organization, and people-skills. It should be used, in my opinion, as an example of the qualities the rest of your CV or resume should reflect :)

Thanks very much for the thoughtful response. The intent of my question was to see what sort of commitment the office would entail. Very glad to hear that it's going well for you! :smile:

Thanks very much for the thoughtful response. The intent of my question was to see what sort of commitment the office would entail. Very glad to hear that it's going well for you! :smile:

I was student society president for my class. As with most leadership positons it's more thankless than not, but if you go into it with an idea for what you want your class to accomplixh then it should be a rewarding experience. There are usually a core of interested students in the other positions (VP, treas, sec, etc) and as was said above you delegate out and get things done. My impression was that many students are psyched to be in PA school and you can harness that enthusiasm for your goals.

I didn't feel that it took away any time from my studies. We had 10-15 min meetings during lunch breaks once a month or so. Sometimes hard to get students in from lunch but not everyone is going to be involved. The overall time commitment was not to much

I don't know how it pays off in the postgrad world. It's probably a nice addition to your resume and an indicator of leadership skills.

I was student society president for my class. As with most leadership positons it's more thankless than not, but if you go into it with an idea for what you want your class to accomplixh then it should be a rewarding experience. There are usually a core of interested students in the other positions (VP, treas, sec, etc) and as was said above you delegate out and get things done. My impression was that many students are psyched to be in PA school and you can harness that enthusiasm for your goals.

I didn't feel that it took away any time from my studies. We had 10-15 min meetings during lunch breaks once a month or so. Sometimes hard to get students in from lunch but not everyone is going to be involved. The overall time commitment was not to much

I don't know how it pays off in the postgrad world. It's probably a nice addition to your resume and an indicator of leadership skills.

I'm class pres. I had already volunteered to send prof's powerpoints out to the students, created a texting "tree" in my phone for communication, etc, before we voted on class president, so I was already doing some of the jobs before I was elected. Like the poster above, I attend faculty meetings as a student representative. I communicate the student needs/questions to the faculty, and communicate from the faculty back to the students. Sometimes it's tough... you get caught in the middle where either the students are irritated with you or you feel like the staff will be frustrated with you.... it's a "middle management" kind of feeling. But, it's also rewarding knowing that you are getting things done, making things better for your classmates, etc. Delegation is key, otherwise you will get overwhelmed. Not sure what the long term benefits are, other than showing leadership skills and the pride in knowing you helped out with the success of your class.

Archived