Undergraduate level jobs that help get clinical experience

Thanks in advance for any responses.

I am finishing up a biology major/chemistry minor; I have set myself up as a competitive MD/DO applicant but talking to PA's during my doctor shadowing has left me convinced that is the field that I want to pursue.

I am in a situation where I do not have any clinical experience aside from shadowing and volunteering at a hospital as a patient advocate (essentially taking the time to talk to lonely patients) and I will not be able to pursue any until after school is over in one more year due to other commitments. I know some schools do not require anything beyond this but I do not want to enter PA school without some "direct clinical experience."

I realize from lurking these forums I could get a EMT or CNA, work, and apply the next cycle but I was wondering if there are any jobs I can get with my undergraduate that will satisfy the requirement?

I doubt it. I majored in Biology and minored in chemistry, and you cannot get anything besides low paying lab tech jobs. I would get EMT cert this summer. it's a very short course. Sorry but that's the quickest way to do it. You will have to forget that you have a degree for awhile.

I know you think you should be able to find something with a bachelors degree. But keep in mind the majority of the people on this forum *have* bachelors and still had to get some training to get HCE. I had a masters degree and still went to get a CNA cert. The only way around this is if you can find a doctor willing to hire you to be a medical assistant. I've heard this happen, BUT I think it is highly unlikely you'll find it unless you have a personal relationship somewhere and they want to do you a HUGE favor. Stop and think about it, if you were running a business, would you hire someone who has no training, requiring that you take precious business time to train that person all along knowing that that person would leave in a year?? It's just not logical. Employers hire certified MAs because they don't have to train them. Most other professions (like EMT) require certs. There are a few tech jobs that don't require certs. After being a CNA, I was a Therapy Technician. I did not require a cert there. But I had also worked as a CNA before that, which helped me get the job. IF you are really against getting training, I'd keep an eye out for therapy tech jobs in your area. Maybe even go there and volunteer (I also did that).

I have a degree in Biology, minor in Chemistry/Spanish - I got my HCE as a CLINICAL research coordinator. I had direct/hands on experience such has performing EKGs, spirometry tests, allergy testing, sputum inductions, methacholine challenges, phlebotomy, taking vitals, interviewing patients, taking medical and medicinal histories according to study guidelines, etc. Only about 50% of my time as a coordinator was direct hands on experience so I had to make sure to distinguish this in my applications. If you live near an academic/university-affiliated hospital that has these positions, I would apply for those positions. We've even had students start part-time their last year and then hired full-time once they graduated. Good luck to you!!!

Well, I won't promise it uses your biology degree, but you don't need additional certification to become a physical therapy aide. It's on the job training. Check at the hospital nearest you about the position. I know some people have done it at Athletico or other private places, or outpatient, but I really think inpatient is the way to go if you want to see variety and high acuity. Plus you make friends with the PAs, nurses, and docs and then you have a dozen teachers before you even get to PA school.

I forgot to mention... depending on where you live, some hospitals hire clinical technicians w/o training. My hospital does that, except for ER where you have to have EMT cert plus a year of experience (where I work).

You can even get HCE working at assisted living facilities! I struggled a lot too figuring out how to get a job as a mere undergrad, but a lot of schools do count being a caregiver as direct hands on care! I have to say, it is VERY direct. If you don't mind grunt work like wiping butts, cleaning urine/bowel movements, cleaning even vomit sometimes...you do also get to do transfers, change catheter bags, dress/bathe/feed them etc...a lot of what a CNA does (in fact, half of the people I worked with have CNA certification but found they didn't even need it at this job since it trains you on the spot)....but you get to also understand the human element of disease/aging, feel directly responsible for their lives/check vitals/weights, you even experience losing someone under your care, you speak with their families and discuss the best ways to take care of them, and you're the first one to notify a nurse/EMT that something is wrong, etc. In fact, at a school info session the director said he really likes to see that you can handle grunt work/that you've been through being at the bottom of the chain.

**I started working as an undergrad!! All you need is a highschool diploma/GED...and the guts to do this type of job!

You can even get HCE working at assisted living facilities! I struggled a lot too figuring out how to get a job as a mere undergrad, but a lot of schools do count being a caregiver as direct hands on care! I have to say, it is VERY direct. If you don't mind grunt work like wiping butts, cleaning urine/bowel movements, cleaning even vomit sometimes...you do also get to do transfers, change catheter bags, dress/bathe/feed them etc...a lot of what a CNA does (in fact, half of the people I worked with have CNA certification but found they didn't even need it at this job since it trains you on the spot)....but you get to also understand the human element of disease/aging, feel directly responsible for their lives/check vitals/weights, you even experience losing someone under your care, you speak with their families and discuss the best ways to take care of them, and you're the first one to notify a nurse/EMT that something is wrong, etc. In fact, at a school info session the director said he really likes to see that you can handle grunt work/that you've been through being at the bottom of the chain.

**I started working as an undergrad!! All you need is a highschool diploma/GED...and the guts to do this type of job!

Archived