ipads during school and in practice

I know there was a thread earlier that talked about tools for use during PA school.. but I had some further questions.

Do (or did) any of you use an ipad during school or in clinic? My program uses all powerpoints for lectures. I like the idea of being able to carry around all of the lectures without printing off everything. Also, I have heard about programs where you can use a stylus and take notes on the ipad. Obviously, I haven't started school, so I am not sure what type of note-taking will work best for me. In undergrad I took notes by hand, but I have heard that sometimes you HAVE to use a computer because you simply can not write as fast as some professors talk. I am also thinking it will be helpful to have apps like epocretes (sp?) and flashcards and such while in school.

I do have a macbook that I use all the time and wouldn't have a problem using that as the way to get online. I also have a droid that i have unlimited data on (for now).

So does anyone use an ipad for things other than just the internet? If so, was it in school or clinic, and what sort of things did you use it for?

Thanks a million!

There were quite a few people in my class who used an iPad. The reason being that one of our classes required us to get certain apps that was useful that semester. I don't have a mac or an iPad but I do have an iPhone. Regarding taking notes, I am old school where I have the print outs in front of me, otherwise I would bring my laptop and take notes on the power point. I know people who have an iPad with a small keyboard attached to it and take notes that way. There are few apps that are good when your in school. Some apps I have on my phone are epocrates, prognosis, webmd, dxsaurus, medcalc pro, qx calculate, iradiology. Your mac should more that suffice for taking notes.

Not starting PA school until fall, but for note-taking on my iPad I love "Notability." I tried out a lot of the note-taking apps and this one is just really intuitive and user-friendly. You can important powerpoints as PDF's and mark them up either by typing or using a stylus. I like writing, and a good stylus (I use one by ifaraday) does the trick. Its my favorite way to take notes.

I just started school a few days ago and have only been taking notes on my iPad. So far, so good but I quickly realized that some apps and accessories are necessary. These are some of the MUST-HAVES for the iPad during PA school that I've discovered so far:

Case/keyboard design: I've done tons of research on which case/keyboard to buy for the new ipad. There's plenty of options ranging from $40-$150. The Adonit Writer Plus so far has been the runaway winner. It's a little on the pricey side ($100-$110) but it provides good protection and comes with a detachable bluetooth keyboard which has an interface very similar to regular laptop keyboards. It sells out extremely fast on Adonit's website, but can also be purchased on Amazon.

http://adonit.net/product/writer-plus/

stylus: Adonit also sells a stylus on their website. It's also pricey but I bought one and it's very nice. I'm sure any descent stylus would work fine.

Drop box app: This is the ultimate PA school friendly app. It allows users to synchronize all their files seamlessly among all their devices: pc/mac, ipad, smart phone, ipod. If say, a pdf is placed into Drop box on a pc, it will automatically show up on the ipad to be visualized.

Notability: This app is 2 bucks. It allows the user to draw or type on existing pdfs. It's great for taking notes in class if you prefer to physically write your notes. One problem I encountered is that it hasn't been able to open WORD documents. Luckily there's an app for that (always).

Keynote: This app will run you $10 but is awesome for taking notes in powerpoint. It shows you the slides in order and then allows you to type your notes on a separate screen. The best part is, once the powerpoint files are opened on your pc/mac, the typed notes are displayed in that text box directly below each slide. Problem encountered: switching between screens to view slides and then type notes can be difficult. What works best for me is viewing the powerpoint the professor displays on the projector and just typing my notes on the designated "note screen" which follows each powerpoint slide.

Quickoffice: This is one of the more expensive apps ($20) but it allows the user to open and edit word and excel files. It also will open powerpoint slides, but provides no additional area to take notes (why? I have no idea). This being said, you have to buy both Keynote and Quickoffice if you want to be able to take notes on powerpoints and edit excel and word docs.

So far, with all those I have been able to get by just fine (only been 2 days!) but this should start you on the right foot.

I don't have an iPad in practice, but I can say it does help a great ton with little things. Technology I feel is becoming so necessary in class that its almost to a point where you need two computers. In essence this is one way an iPad helps out. I can type my papers while having EXTREMELY easy access to all my notes, powerpoint slides, AND text books all in one place (which i may or may not download online for 0$). Apps are extremely helpful if your looking for an interactive study aid, there are so many and always useful. Carrying around just an iPad versus texts, notebooks, and tape recorders is the greatest thing that ever happened to "getting ready for class."

I doubted the usefulness of an iPad for a while, but I came to realize it can be a really really great study tool. I would recommend, if you have the money to buy one. It saves the hassles of buying, remembering, bringing, making things like flashcards, printing PDFs/slides, highlighting material, recording, and organizing heavy paper work. As a mactop pro owner too, I hope I convinced you.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumor is that MS Office will be out in November for the iPad. Until then, the CloudOn app was amazing. It syncs directly with Dropbox, box.net. So if you make a change on your iPad, it automatically syncs it with Dropbox. Also, it allows you to see the notes underneath the PowerPoint slide. The only other app that does this is OnLive, which charges $5/month, which also allows you to use the browser with flash!

Rumor is that MS Office will be out in November for the iPad. Until then, the CloudOn app was amazing. It syncs directly with Dropbox, box.net. So if you make a change on your iPad, it automatically syncs it with Dropbox. Also, it allows you to see the notes underneath the PowerPoint slide. The only other app that does this is OnLive, which charges $5/month, which also allows you to use the browser with flash!

Not sure if you've already heard from your school as far as your technology package, our next years class are receiving iPads for this reason. Will say, it's hard to know what will work for you till you get into the groove in your classes. I started out being a handwriter, now I use my laptop (& I have a an iPad)...and use my smaller iPod for apps, my iPad is a bit big to carry around in the hospital when I'm seeing patients or looking stuff up. Just some considerations, best!

Not sure if you've already heard from your school as far as your technology package, our next years class are receiving iPads for this reason. Will say, it's hard to know what will work for you till you get into the groove in your classes. I started out being a handwriter, now I use my laptop (& I have a an iPad)...and use my smaller iPod for apps, my iPad is a bit big to carry around in the hospital when I'm seeing patients or looking stuff up. Just some considerations, best!

Archived