PA License Application Advice

Hello!

I'm starting my California PA license application soon and would like some advice regarding the questions about conviction/felony/unprofessional misconduct.

I was an EMT and during a call, my partner and I went to pick up a pt from home for transportation to dialysis. We were loading the pt to the ambulance when gurney tipped, and pt fell to ground. Pt had minor scrape on knee. We informed supervisor and then transferred pt to dialysis. Pt was alert/oriented. The incident caused mild superficial injury to pt's knee, otherwise pt was fine. Pt's family got lawyer and claim was filed. Supervisor told partner and me to take a break while he investigates the incident. Anyway, we were informed that we can go back to work and we were not fired. Supervisor said the ambulance company covered EMTs insurance.

My question is should I report this incident in my license application? I was not convicted and I am not a felony right? I am worried about application denial. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Hello!

I'm starting my California PA license application soon and would like some advice regarding the questions about conviction/felony/unprofessional misconduct.

I was an EMT and during a call, my partner and I went to pick up a pt from home for transportation to dialysis. We were loading the pt to the ambulance when gurney tipped, and pt fell to ground. Pt had minor scrape on knee. We informed supervisor and then transferred pt to dialysis. Pt was alert/oriented. The incident caused mild superficial injury to pt's knee, otherwise pt was fine. Pt's family got lawyer and claim was filed. Supervisor told partner and me to take a break while he investigates the incident. Anyway, we were informed that we can go back to work and we were not fired. Supervisor said the ambulance company covered EMTs insurance.

My question is should I report this incident in my license application? I was not convicted and I am not a felony right? I am worried about application denial. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Were there formal charges attached to your emt license? Was there a formal reprimand on your record at work?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

That is a civil and not a criminal action. So the answer to the criminal question is “no”, and that does not even seem to be in question. You were not fired so any answer to that question would be “no”, unless you were officially suspended or had your privileges officially suspended or revoked (those things are reportable). Now, if you were named in a law suit (civil) in california you would have had to have been served. Look up the Superior Court records in the county you worked in in California (they are all on line) and make sure you were not named as a defendant. If you were never named as a defendant (not served and no record of name in superior court) you have never been sued for malpractice. It does not appear that any of these were the case but I do not know the specific facts of your situation.

That is a civil and not a criminal action. So the answer to the criminal question is “no”, and that does not even seem to be in question. You were not fired so any answer to that question would be “no”, unless you were officially suspended or had your privileges officially suspended or revoked (those things are reportable). Now, if you were named in a law suit (civil) in california you would have had to have been served. Look up the Superior Court records in the county you worked in in California (they are all on line) and make sure you were not named as a defendant. If you were never named as a defendant (not served and no record of name in superior court) you have never been sued for malpractice. It does not appear that any of these were the case but I do not know the specific facts of your situation.

I agree with rpackelly but would suggest you speak with your Program Director about this if you haven't. You could also call the PAC and ask directly. Glenn Mitchell is a good person to speak with, I have always found him professional and helpful. HTH.

LESH is correct, I second the notion of calling Glen. He has been with the PA committee forever and can help you sort it out. the thing is, you want to be completely truthful on the application, but you want to also be completely accurate, and not answer questions that have not been asked.

I talked to my program and they agreed, my situation is not of legal issues. So when I answer the questions regarding legal issues, I would answer no. If I call Mr. Glen Mitchell, would the PAC allow me to speak to him directly? Thank you for all your responses and I really do appreciate your time to answer this matter.

Archived