GRE Essay Section and Study Ideas

While the writing portion probably isn't the most critical component to your application, it's still a good idea to try to do well. There's some example essays on the ETS site and in their books that show responses for each score level.

As for preparing, my recommendation is to mimic testing environments as much as you can. It can be time consuming to write essays over and over, but I would recommend bullet pointing your arguments for as many responses as you feel comfortable with. And when you take the test, take a couple minutes to bullet point first, it'll help you organize your thoughts before writing in such a limited time.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been discussed plenty here but Magoosh and ETS GRE book are very popular.

I would go in to this test trying to score as high as you can in all parameters of the GRE. You wouldn't want to be compared to someone with similar stats and lose out because you got a 3.0 and they got a 4.0 on their writing section. 

3 months is plenty of time. I studied hardcore for a month, had to relearn the math and scored a 309 with a 4.0.  I was aiming for a 310 minimum score but was still happy with what I got.