Hello there,

This is my first time writing on the PA forum. I’ve been having really bad anxiety since the start of rotations and need some words of wisdom.

I have been a very good student all my life. I maintained above a 3.5 GPA throughout my undergrad and I received As and Bs in all my classes though out my didactic year of PA school. I have passed all my EOREs and received good evaluations from my preceptors for the rotations I had so far,  but I feel like I forget everything I learned from my previous rotations and didactic year, thus, I feel dumb and I feel like a fraud.  I am currently on my 5th rotation (which is Cardiology) and I am still not feeling confident in myself and feel like I am no where close to being the PA I want to be.

I grew up having ADHD and have taken various medication since I was young, but I feel like my medication no longer works because my anxiety is so bad that I can’t study during my down time. Also, my anxiety is affecting the way I think, communicate with peers and patients, and even sleep. I take medication for anxiety, but I do not want to increase the dose until I get my sleep problems taken care of.  I feel like I should take a step back and take care of my own health first, but I am so close to graduating and I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to start my career feeling burnt out and not getting nights of sleep because of feeling incompetent. Just looking for some advice.

Thank you!

Edited by Detroiterpa93

You are feeling like every PA student... with a little extra anxiety which seems to be recurrent. Remember that clinical rotations are designed for exposure not mastery. You will not become an expert cardiologist or orthopod or whatever in one clinical rotation, and that does not make you incompetent. A healthy fear of not knowing everything is a good thing, and knowing your limitations is a benefit to you, your patients, and your immediate team. 

Push through and manage your anxiety as best you can, and if that means med adjustments I would advise that. You're close to the next bench mark, as there is no finish line- you will be a lifelong learner. Graduate no matter what. 

Edited by deltawave

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By mliggett
      Hey all -- 
      New to the forum. I'm a post-BA student with a degree in Geography/Economics, where I focused on community development and the more sociological side of things... Years after my graduation, I decided to take the plunge into the medical field instead. I currently am an EMS worker with the goal to be involved with the Global Health field in the future (main interest in water/sanitation/infectious diseases, etc.).. Given the short background, my thought process is directed at doing a P.A. program with the hopes of being able to utilize that both domestically and abroad... 
      SO -- I suppose my main questions are: 
      1.) Does this seem like a good approach, given my main interest being in global health? I'm currently 29 -- so to try and backtrack at this point and attempt to go to Med School seems like an idea I'm being nudged away from... especially from physicians I've met en route at hospitals and others that I know. 
      Additionally -- I'm wondering if there are any sorts of databases that show P.A. programs with International Clinical Elective rotations? Going from site to site to try and find my best case scenario is becoming somewhat wasteful in terms of time utilization it seems. OR -- better yet, have you heard of any programs that seem to offer this opportunity and/or are the best types of programs for this interest?
      May seem like a pretty broad and rounded question, but thought maybe you all could offer some insight. Thanks a ton!

Michael 
    • By lmj1024
      Hello,
      I am a first year PA student at Kettering College in Kettering, Ohio. I am from Michigan in the Metro-Detroit area and am hoping to come back to Michigan to do my clinical rotations starting in early September 2018. I will be living in the Metro-Detroit area so I am looking for rotations around that area or in Toledo, but I'm open to other ares in Michigan or Northern Ohio. If anyone knows of any rotation opportunities or preceptors that are taking PA students please let me know. Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    • By katy24
      Hello, I am very interested in UNE PA school and was hoping that a current student would be able to provide some information on clinical rotations. There does not seem to be any information online about it. Are the rotations in Maine? Are they set up by the program or do students set them up themselves? Any other info would be great! Thanks

• By ELMpas
      Hello,
      I am a current, first-year Physician Assistant student in TN but am trying to return home to AZ for clinical rotations.  Does anyone know of any providers who may be willing to be preceptors?  I am starting my clinical rotations in January 2018.
      Thank you!
      Elizabeth
    • By ashaw249
      Hi Future Colleagues! 
      My name is Aaron Shaw. I graduated in 2015 from the University of Toledo Medical Center PA School. I have been practicing Neurosurgery the past year in College Station, Texas. Over the past two years I have been writing a book for: Students going into PA school, Current PA students, MD Students, DO Students and NP Students. On February 15th, 2017 my book was published and it is on Amazon for sale! Honestly I wish I had a book like this before and during PA school as life would have been much easier. I used this book and purchased a few practice tests from the NCCPA before taking the PANCE and passing it with flying colors the first time! It is my hope that you will check out my new book and hopefully make your study sessions much higher yield! 

Below is the Amazon website for my book! 

All the best to all those applying to PA school and for those studying for the PANCE. 

https://www.amazon.com/Medical-Rotations-Time-Succeed-Training/dp/0692836616/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487803712&sr=8-1&keywords=medical+rotations

Thanks,

Aaron Shaw, MSBS PA-C

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More