Baylor EM residency

I'm looking to join the military either through HPSP or directly after school. My only problem with this is I really wanted to do an EM residency.

I know it takes a certain number of years in service to do the army Baylor residency, but anyone have any idea how competitive it is? I would love to get a doctorate with my residency, but I'd hate to ruin my chances of further training by only applying to one place. Is it worth staying the extra time to attempt to get into this program? Or should I do my commitment do a civilian residency and then come back to the military?

Also, would an EM residency mean that I would exclusively (I use that loosely since I know the military will put me where needed) practice EM in the military?

• 2 months later...

I was also interested in doing the Navy's EM fellowship...does any Navy PA know, can a HPSP student, after finishing PA school and passing boards, are they able to go straight in to the fellowship? Or do you/should you put in some time before hand.....

Thanks!

You cannot go straight in to the Navy EM fellowship as a direct accession. You must complete at least (1) utilization tour and then there are limiting factors like where you are (will be) stationed when applying. This can be a tricky discussion to the uninitiated.

Navy PAs are geared towards primary care by doctrine. Then later you are allowed the opportunity to explore other professional goals. This is not to say that you cannot also work in other departments concurrently, like say the ER or maybe IM...

Archived