'Tell us about a time you recieved negative feedback'

Hello Everyone,

I recently had an interview and it didn't go great. I thought I did well, but I was clearly very nervous, and I just got rejected from the school. I have been thinking about my interview a lot, and I am trying to identify a few ways I can do better next time. One question that sticks out is the 'Tell us about a time you received negative feedback and how did you respond' question. It was asked in this interview and in a previous job interview, and I struggle with it. I'm trying to figure out what schools are 'looking for' when they ask this. Are they trying to make sure I won't fly off the handle when I am corrected? Are they looking to see if I am humble and recognize my faults? Are they trying to see if I get defensive with stuff? Where should I be taking this?

Here are some ways I have thought of to answer this question: 1) After accidentally hitting a door with an ambulance, my supervisor said 'Don't do that' and I said 'Understood. I will take more care next time' and have not hit anything again. (I was diving into an open garage to have equipment fixed and was being guided in by a spotter. I could not see the top of the ambulance from the driver's seat as it is 18 inches above my head and there is no sunroof, obvs, and neither I or the spotter thought to double check the height because we were focused on not scratching the side.)  This demonstrates that I accept responsibility for my actions, recognize when I have made mistakes, and take care not to repeat them. 

2) I received poor chemistry grades my freshman year and therefor was initially excluded from my intended major, biology. (I'm counting the grades themselves as feedback, here). I reached out to the chem prof for the following year and arranged to audit the first two quarters, and retake the third quarter; I reached out to professors for the bio courses I had been planning to take, discussed the situation, and they agreed to let me take my courses with the understanding that the chem requirement would eventually be met; and I thoroughly discussed the situation with my advisor and made a plan. I retook the classes, continued on in my major and graduated. This shows that I have perseverance, can manage setbacks, and don't quit. I did have more poor grades after this (which is one reason why I am a long-shot for this anyway and get nervous in the first place.

Any thoughts? I have a few additional situations I could draw on, but I'm not sure they are better than what is above.

Does anyone have a particularly good response that they have given or heard from an interviewee?

The problem here is that you aren't digging deeply. These are both extremely surface-level examples of "negative feedback" and don't show that you can genuinely consider critique and respond to it positively. (Grades also are an indication of your work/skill and are not an example of negative feedback.)

If I'm remembering correctly, the feedback does not have to be given in the work or school environment. I think I talked about some tough feedback I got from my SO and discussed how I stepped back and made changes based on his thoughts. I'm sure you've received negative feedback from a family member, friend, or someone else that you can draw on to answer this question.

One more thing. If you're invited to interview, you aren't such a long shot. My roommate and I were academic long shots and are both currently thriving in our furthest-reach program. Don't sell yourself short!

We ask this as part of our job interview process and it amazes me the number of providers that give half-ass responses or actually claim that they've never had negative feedback.  Really?  I can give a whole slew of answers to this one and it doesn't have to be patient related and I'm just another nice guy.  No, really.  OK, maybe not all the time.

Thanks for the feedback! I have been thinking about other examples of deeper/more constructive criticism. I have identified a few, but the are less 'clean cut', in that I didn't immediately and completely fix the problem, and instead had to revisit the issue several times, and I felt much more like a failure in the process. I'm a bit worried that interviewers will think I'm not capable of meeting the demands of PA school, and so I am working on ways of discussing what I learned from each of those experiences, while not getting defensive about my weaknesses. I appreciate your answers!

47 minutes ago, mst2100 said:

Thanks for the feedback! I have been thinking about other examples of deeper/more constructive criticism. I have identified a few, but the are less 'clean cut', in that I didn't immediately and completely fix the problem, and instead had to revisit the issue several times, and I felt much more like a failure in the process. I'm a bit worried that interviewers will think I'm not capable of meeting the demands of PA school, and so I am working on ways of discussing what I learned from each of those experiences, while not getting defensive about my weaknesses. I appreciate your answers!

Frankly this is more of what a program/job interview is looking for.  We're all human.  One telling of negative feedback does not typically illicit an immediate and perfect correction.  We aren't robots.

Your quote: "I'm trying to figure out what schools are 'looking for' when they ask this. Are they trying to make sure I won't fly off the handle when I am corrected? Are they looking to see if I am humble and recognize my faults? Are they trying to see if I get defensive with stuff? Where should I be taking this?'

^It's all of the above.  It's a complex question that deserves a thoughtful answer.