New Grad offer- Ortho surg

What are your thoughts on this offer? Ortho surg in Texas. Closing decision to be made soon. 

Salary: $116,400, w/productivity bonus each quarter. Salary cap of 155k/yr

Signing Bonus: $5000

Loan repayment: $500/mo

CME: $1500/yr (up to 5 days)

Licensing Dues: $1000/yr

Relocation reimbursement: $15,000 

Vacation: 3 weeks paid, + 7 paid holidays 

Other benefits including: health/dental/vision, 401k, mal practice, etc... 

Schedule: 2.5 days clinic, 2 days surg. 40ish hours/ week. 

Edited by jaredlj3

That's really good. CME a bit low. Do you know what the matching on 401K is and how much health incurance will cost you? Also, what is the productivity bonus? I really only do not like that they have a cap on the salary. If you're making them that much money, they shouldn't cap your salary like that. Not a deal breaker though.

18 minutes ago, AbeTheBabe said:

That's really good. CME a bit low. Do you know what the matching on 401K is and how much health incurance will cost you? Also, what is the productivity bonus? I really only do not like that they have a cap on the salary. If you're making them that much money, they shouldn't cap your salary like that. Not a deal breaker though.

not sure about the health insurance. 401K is a 3% match. I get the greater of my salary or $30/per encounter. Quarterly goal is 1170 pt encounters. Based off of the goal my salary would equate to $24/encounter ($28,080/quarter). If i reached the goal of 1170 getting the greater of $30/ encounter it would be a quarterly increase of $7020 or $35,100/quarter which would be more like 140K/yr. It's not based off of wRVU's. So if I see post op pt's (no wRVU's accrued) it still goes towards my pt encounter goal. Hopefully that makes sense. 

I guess it makes sense, but what doesn't is they have a cap of 155K. If someone is hitting 155K at 30/encounter they are making the practice SO much money. I wouldn't bet on getting a bonus at all. 1170 divided by 12 weeks divided by 2.5 clinic days is 39 patients a day rate. I'm 3 years into ortho and usually see 20-25 patients. Seeing 30/day I'd be so tired. Seeing 40/day is damn near impossible unless all you're doing is post-ops and injections. If surgeries count as encounters I guess that's a little better, but again I wouldn't count on hitting anything.

My practice gives a bonus of 10-12% of collections on top of base salary. There's no minimum. There's no cap. Some PAs make 50K+ a year in bonus.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AbeTheBabe said:

I guess it makes sense, but what doesn't is they have a cap of 155K. If someone is hitting 155K at 30/encounter they are making the practice SO much money. I wouldn't bet on getting a bonus at all. 1170 divided by 12 weeks divided by 2.5 clinic days is 39 patients a day rate. I'm 3 years into ortho and usually see 20-25 patients. Seeing 30/day I'd be so tired. Seeing 40/day is damn near impossible unless all you're doing is post-ops and injections. If surgeries count as encounters I guess that's a little better, but again I wouldn't count on hitting anything.

My practice gives a bonus of 10-12% of collections on top of base salary. There's no minimum. There's no cap. Some PAs make 50K+ a year in bonus.

Thanks for the input. Surgery will be factored in the encounters. I don't plan on getting the bonus for a while. Not until i'm comfortable with a heavy pt load. That's a nice bonus structure. $50k is a great bonus. Where are you practicing?

It’s solid for a new grad. Only thing I’d ask is to have the maximum cap removed. It’s asinine to cap your productivity. You would be unlikely to hit it out of school but why should they have an arbitrary maximum value?  It incentivizes you to work really hard then throw on the brakes as you approach the cap.