Question on job interview follow-up...

Having been employed in family practice/FQHC-community health style for last 10 years, and getting a bit "crispy" around the edges (though, fortunately, not 'needing' to be seeking a job at present), I've been putting out feelers for a different direction in terms of professional/personal growth over the last year or so.  A good part of my current position is family practice/reproductive health/care of young adults/adolescents, etc.  Thus, when a job at a student health center for an APP (PA or NP) presented itself, at a large Midwestern university which I and my fiance would be quite interested in relocating to, I submitted my resume/cover letter/references-all solid.  

They offered a "pre-screening" interview w/in the week--which classically was a week we were all the way out on in SE Canada (Quebec City) since I was on a previously scheduled vacation.  And having to be attending a CME in New England the next week after my vacation, with only a few set dates for the interview at this university, we disrupted our plans, essentially curtailing our vacation to return home so I could interview back in the MIdwest on a Friday. Subsequently, requiring me to drive 16 hours back East by the following Monday to be back in New England.  

Long story short-interview was pretty generic.  From my end, I spent an hour fielding questions on various patient management, working with diverse populations, dealing with issues relevant to young adult/university populations, etc., including mental health/addictions screenings and management.  There really wasn't a yay or nay, nor did I expect one upon the conclusion of the interview, but body lingo-wise, there were nods, and 'hmms' as the interview committee was jotting down, and I"m sure, scoring various responses.  I will say, and I did point out to them, there seemed to be some confusion over what their job advertisement specified (primary care focused), and what, by the interview conclusion, I had an impression they were actually seeking (someone with a heavily skewed urgent care background).  Which was fine. I mentioned I would be more than happy to brush up on certain suturing/toe nail removal skills that haven't been utilized since my first job almost 10 years ago, in urgent care, but they were part of the repertoire.  I do enough varied procedures in my clinic routine that it wouldn't be that 'foreign' to get things like basic suturing/splinting for uncomplicated sprains back under the belt.  And as for other 'acute care" visits, I certainly see enough of those in any given day, mixed w/ my CHF/diabetes/undocumented immigrant/suicidal/COPD/anxiety crisis/etc folks typical of rural underserved FQHC population.  And my young adults growing up in the vicinity of my clinic, including a share of university and young adult student types.  

Anyway, upon interview's conclusion, I was told by the head PA (interviewed by head PA, lead clinic RN, care coordinator, and one of the student health physicians) they would be back to me with a response regarding hiring decisions after they'd completed screening interviews with other applicants, at the latest by mid-next week following my interview date which had been on Friday.  

After 2 weeks of crickets, I sent a follow-up email to the HR contact associated w/the job advertisement.  It was politely stated, thanking them for their time, and just inquiring as to the status of my application, fully accounting if they had gone with a different candidate.  I'm an adult. I can take rejection, and I"m fine staying at my current job for the present (where I've been for 7+ years...).  I'm just wondering, is this routine nowadays, for potential employers to glibly state, "We'll be in contact within the week," (one way or the other--I fully realize they may be other candidates better fitting their qualifications...though, I'm wondering just how much of their patient population base constitutes procedural urgent care w/o being equipped as a proper urgent care), and then not hear anything at all?  This isn't about an acceptance or rejection.  It's about receiving a proper professional reply, the way job interviews, and follow-ups used to be conducted "in the old days"--meaning, only 5 to 10 years ago.  Has something changed in the work/interview culture in the interval since then?  I don't know how often I should continue to contact them until I hear something one way or another, since the reply I had last week was, "Sorry for the delay.  The committee is still in the process of reviewing applicants. They will be in touch as soon as they've made a decision."  

I'm guessing they're not interested in me as a potential hire, or they wouldn't take 4 weeks to decide on this, but can they at least send a reply actually closing this out?  I'm also wondering, along with this being the standard of interview protocol nowadays, is there also a possibility this is a reflection of the work-place itself?  I would have imagined a state university would be more organized and prompt than an FQHC, but maybe I overestimated the professionalism of the setting.  I don't know.  I'm just a little confused here, and feel like, continuing to bother their HR with a weekly, "any news yet?", kind of inquiry will make them feel on the defensive to force a reply.  I'm guessing this is a 'let it go, and move on,' sort of thing, which is fine, but ugh if this is the standard (which I've more and more colleagues claim over the last few years) of interview/job search ethic these days. 

Sorry for the rant--my booboo lip is officially put back in, and big girl undies back on...but any insights might be welcome. 

Thanks  

Yes, they are unprofessional and your first clue was the bait and switch, advertising for primary care but trying to shoehorn you into an urgent care position.  They were probably nodding because you busted them.  Also, most primary care is now actually "urgent care", "with no wait time!".  

However, government entities, and I'm putting universities in that category, are the opposite of organized; I would not be surprised if the HR person was on leave or something ridiculous like that.  

• Administrator

My thoughts:

1) Don't disrupt your plans for an interview.  Play a bit hard to get--if they don't have the flexibility to accommodate your preexisting plans, they're not that into you and it's a long shot from the get go, so if you DO scrap your plans, it's likely for nothing.

2) Follow up within 24 hours yourself.  If you want the job, say so, if you don't, withdraw your name from consideration.  I prefer email, because I can be very specific and carefully choose words that may, in fact, get to the entire interview team.  Plus, it's yet another opportunity to demonstrate written communication skills.  I've conducted 100+ interviews--IT, firefighting, PA school admissions--and been through probably 30 myself over the years. You may not quite have the experienced "gut" to tell you something is good or bad, but you'll get there.

3) Never wait for an interview outcome.  If they haven't given you an offer yet, you're still available.  If they wanted you that bad, they'd've made you a verbal offer at the end of the interview.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thank you--while the job itself didn't come through (which I'm not surprised), I do appreciate the insights.  It's been a while since I've exercised the interview chops, while I do keep my resume/references current. So, this was probably a good way of getting feet wet.  I'm fine staying at my current position, for now, but as I said, I'm getting a bit run-dry having been in the community health/chronic disease management merry-go-round for the last 10 years.  Hopefully, I'm hire-able?  And I could use a break in a less intense setting for a time. 

Overall, there were more issues with this position upon reflection, so it's probably for the best.  I don't know of any APP worth their salt, of 5+years experience, which is what they were asking for, who would take the pay scale they were offering, despite the population being somewhat less medically complex than what I see in an FQHC (not underestimating student/college populations--there's always some left-curve ball out there...). I think my first full-time position was at least $10,000 more than what the going salary was at this student health clinic 10 years ago.  Anyway, such as life.  

Again, thanks for the insights-I'll definitely keep them in mind.